Playback Too Jerky - BlueIris 5

bensocket

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello

I am running BI 5 on a custom build PC with 12 Amcrest Cameras connected. 4 x 4k and 8x 5mp

The problem i am having is when i try to play back the footage it sometimes gets jerky and then suddenly catches up. Almost seems like a bottleneck on the retrieving the files from the HHD? All cameras are recording continuously

I guess my question is, would it help to install another hhd and make a raid0 in windows to stripe and hopefully increase read write?

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
NVIDIA GeForce GT 710
Seagate 8TB 5000RPM HHD (Windows is installed on a small SSD)
32GB memory

Normal resource usage: CPU 8 -10 % ram 2.37GB

Thanks

Ben

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the frame rate and Iframe values for your cameras?
Whagt is there bit rate ?

Screen shots. the frame full window...
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
2) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
3) blue Iris status cameras tab

bensocket

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello

Here is the info.

Camera Bit rate:

1619661529973.png

task Manager. I am unsure how to make the GPU show? Any ideas?

1619661354110.png

Storage Status

1619661289845.png

Camera Tab

1619661354020.png

Sorry i am remotely logged in so the screenshots are rough
1619661571227.png

Attachments

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Set the iframe to 15. Set bit rate to one of the selected values like 6144
He won't be able to with that cam and unlikely to cause the issue cited.

OP to answer your question no, need for striping disk throughput for those cameras at such low bitrates won't be great, just a few tips.

There are quite a few different issues, so you need to work out if it's a record of playback issue.
Perform an export in BI to an MP4 file and playback on other PC. That MAY determine if it's a recording issue or playback issue then can go from there.

Your disk is at 50%, sort by disk to find out what is using your disk, BI disk usage is really low so you either have a poor performing disk or interface issue. Check the windows logs, change the sata cable, try recording to another drive.

BVR and BlueIris.exe excluded from AV all the usual stuff.

Also reset your stats, your camera drop outs "no signals are high", not the cause here but could point to a network issue.

PS: Just read your stats, your writing to a Seagate 8TB 5000RPM HHD. Yet BI is showing disk at 50% with low disk throughput from BI. Cause of the disk usage needs to be investigated.
Looking at your Pics BI was recording on all cams yet task manager is showing 4MBs and 0MBs being written to the disk. Something's really wrong with that disk. Check the windows event viewer for errors, try recording to another disk if you can.
Use BVR format and direct to disk.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what is simplehelp remote access client ? Why is it ion the BI pc.

Provide screens shot of the PC System processes sorted by disk usage, most at top.

Something is wrong with your system

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
iframe - Frame Rate - Frame Interval = basically the same thing
Frame Rate is not the same thing as iframe interval.

In the Amcrest camera, apparently they do actually just call the iframe interval "Frame Interval" which is asinine and demonstrates that whoever built that UI doesn't know what they are doing.

bensocket

n3wb
Reaction score
what is simplehelp remote access client ? Why is it ion the BI pc.

Provide screens shot of the PC System processes sorted by disk usage, most at top.

Something is wrong with your system
Simple Help is the remote software that I use to log in remotely so all that is good

1619719295166.png

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That looks ok to me for disk speed the max for that drive is 220 MBps.

I do not understand that your speed test indicate 53MB/s but bi is using 5.7MB/s. you disk utilization is at 50% it should be at 6%.

Is your disk drive internal or external to the BI PC ?
Is the D drive stored folder set to zero in size ?
Are you continuously recording on all your cameras ?
How may displays are you running ?
Are you running a disk defragmenter on D or are you running a virus protection program on D. Never run any of these types of programs on video disk.
Are you running a VM on this PC.

Also 9885 MB memory of BI is very large for your memory for only 12 cameras.

Do a power down reboot of the BI computer. Check the amount of memory used see it it is growing (leaking) over time.

Some this in NOT correct on this system.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you do that disk test while Blue Iris was recording video? The results are actually very concerning. I'm not sure SouthernYankee looked at the red line at all.

Seagate has a diagnostic tool here but I have never used it so I don't know how good it is. gSmartControl is a generic app for doing some of the same things but isn't as easy to figure out if you aren't very techy.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect such spiky performance unless that disk's free space is very highly fragmented. Speaking of fragmentation, Windows' disk optimizer (defragmenter) could be running to cause poor performance, but usually it stops when you are interacting with your machine so I wouldn't expect it to yield bad test results.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For comparison these are my two disks in my main BI server (which records on motion and wasn't recording at the time). Disk optimization is disabled for these in Windows so it never runs the defragmenter.

1619751483055.png 1619751406522.png

bensocket

n3wb
Reaction score
That looks ok to me for disk speed the max for that drive is 220 MBps.

I do not understand that your speed test indicate 53MB/s but bi is using 5.7MB/s. you disk utilization is at 50% it should be at 6%.

Is your disk drive internal or external to the BI PC ?
Is the D drive stored folder set to zero in size ?
Are you continuously recording on all your cameras ?
How may displays are you running ?
Are you running a disk defragmenter on D or are you running a virus protection program on D. Never run any of these types of programs on video disk.
Are you running a VM on this PC.

Also 9885 MB memory of BI is very large for your memory for only 12 cameras.

Do a power down reboot of the BI computer. Check the amount of memory used see it it is growing (leaking) over time.

Some this in NOT correct on this system.
It just hangs out at 50% all the time even if it isn't using much.

It is a internal drive
What do you mean set to 0 in size?
Yes recording all the time
1 display but it is off 98% of the time
Disk defragment was set to auto run weekly. I just disabled it. Also excluded the D drive from windows defender
No VM strictly a BI computer.

I will do a reboot next time i am onsite. I dont think there is a memory leak. It never goes much higher. I had memory leak a long time ago on a different PC with BI version 4

bensocket

n3wb
Reaction score
I turned off BI and did the test again. Still dips down really bad during writing

1619753718487.png

1619753743919.png

I ran Seatool and ran the repair option. Now after starting BI the task manager is bouncing from 4% to 10% task manager says 0% disk usage while BI is off.
1619753979231.png

I don't know what the repair thing is?

NOW I START BI AGAIN AND RERUN TEST!!

1619754980505.png
1619755009275.png

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Run the manufacturers error checking software. Usually it can be downloaded from their website (never used Seagate so don't know what it's called). Usually it writes to the disk and then checks the error rate (be careful as some options overwrite the whole disc not just the free space). That should give you a report on it's healthy including access to the SMART data.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was wrong there may be something wrong with the disk drive. Get the seagate tools and check the S.M.A.R.T. values.

When the NEW folder and the STORED folder are on the same disk drive do not use the stored folder, set its size to zero. It just cause unnecessary drive activity.