Playback painfully jerky, slow and stuttering.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i'll tell you what thought, this old i5-4590 Optiplex is my daily driver, running everything that is my whole life, You tube, web surfing, printing, quick books...and BI was added later, for shits and giggles, havent had any hiccups with it....
Ok well that pretty much seals that I'm not chasing ghosts and that there's a very real problem with my system.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
10-12 fps
Ok so even though mine are running at 15fps, expecting similar performance on my system shouldn't be unreasonable then.

EDIT: Ok I just swapped out the RAM from another stick I'm using in a very stable system. No change. At least we can rule that out.

Last edited:

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, did you run a debloating script for windows ?

Another thing you can look at, taskmanager - boot up. What is booting on your pc when windows starts ?
Also, regarding the usage of hard drives, i know you're not supposed to but i run 2 hd's, 1 is a 3TB SSD and the second is a 4TB purple drive, i keep 2 days of files on the SSD and then have them moved to the purple drive. Mainly because playback from the purple drive takes some time to load up and i like the really fast performance from the SSD.

Last edited:

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Screenshot 2022-02-04 07.05.18.png

I'm running 5 camera's on a 7600K, using a chromebook to RDP into a win10 machine that's in the attic. But the only items installed on that pc are blueiris, deepstack and a net.time server to keep the clocks right. There is a physical monitor attached to the machine but it's turned of for obvious reasons.

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another thing came to mind, sorry if someone allready brought it up. 2 times a day i log into the BI machine to check the logs. When i'm done i long press the pause button on BI so it pauses playback on the console and then i close it off using the X. That way the console switches to services mode only.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I figured something out.

It seems like changing the desktop resolution on the BI machine drastically affects CPU and GPU performance.

I changed it from 4K to1440p and this is the result on live view.

View attachment 117687

If I change it to 1080p, it's even better performance:

View attachment 117688

@wittaj is this the performance I should be expecting?

Can everyone comment with whether or not they experience this behaviour too?

Attachments

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you sure? By the looks of your screenshot, it looks to be a 3:2 aspect resolution.

Maybe I should've asked what your resolution your remote-viewing app is set to?
That's because RDP changes the resolution to the screen of the device used to log into the RDP machine. So when i use the BI machine in the attic it sticks to the 1920x1080 resolution because that's the screen that is attached to it. When you RDP into it the BI machine it will addapt to the resolution of the machine you use to log into it. My chromebook has a different resolution. (no idea what the resolution is though)

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't understand.

The window in your screenshot that shows your Windows performance stats - that's your BI machine, right?
If so, that cannot possibly be 1920x1080p because that window is a 3:2 aspect resolution.
Therefore it's definitely not adapting to the desktop resolution your BI machine is using when you turn on its monitor - and your BI machine is using a lower fallback resolution whenever a monitor is not connected.

Are you using a HDMI dummy plug by any chance?

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've never used BI, so this is just a shot in the dark .. is there any chance the in-congruence between the audio settings in the camera, and the settings in BI would make a difference? In the camera you have it set to PCM/16000, while in the BI you have it set to AAC/19200.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is there any chance the in-congruence between the audio settings in the camera, and the settings in BI would make a difference?
I doubt it, because the encoder option only has 'AAC' and 'MP3' to choose from. It's just what format you want BI to encode to.