Playback painfully jerky, slow and stuttering.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not a hardware expert, but using RDP to get to my headless box gives me 4% GPU usage with BI console running and 16 cameras in the display behind task manager. While I think you are having disk issues, I don't understand your very high GPU usage compared to my 6th Gen CPU and integrated GPU.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah, try the easy fixes first. they are free. last resort to buy more hardware if it was working good to start.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As far as Win 11 vs 10 goes, I have no idea. I have two BI installs, one on Win 8.1, one Win 10 Pro. I have no plans on upgrading the 8.1, it just works. And it is on satellite, so upgrading would cost me a fair amount of money or trouble.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An insufficient drive will cause higher CPU usage because the processor is trying to compensate. If you are trying to tow a trailer, will a ford sedan engine be working harder than an F250 engine at the same speed?

I would encourage you to not import settings - if it is a bug in there, it will then follow. If you go that route, it is a fresh install of windows and BI.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would encourage you to not import settings - if it is a bug in there, it will then follow. If you go that route, it is a fresh install of windows and BI.
Well I'll wait to see if you can compare my settings with your install and identify anything it might be.

I'm just saying, it'll take me far less time to rule out the OS than to start a new BI install from scratch with every little setting dialled, every zone drawn, schedules marked, etc. I'm actually feeling anxiety just thinking about it.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've often wondered about this - partitioning a HDD, and running 2 windows/BI systems. When one goes down, switch to the other that was running fine prior, and repair the other .. and visa versa. Could this sort of redundancy be of use in scenarios such as this?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I certainly understand the re-setting it up part! Screenshots help a lot.

We have given you a lot of troubleshooting ideas, so it is up to you to decide the order to try.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have run "standard" HD for years, without any issues. If I buy new drives, I get WD Purple drives and my home machine has a pair of WD Purple. However, I have a remote machine with standard HDs which has been running for about 8 years 24/7, and is still going strong. This thread had me check the fragmentation of my HDs. I have two Purple video drives, one at 79% fragmented, the other at 99%. All of the stats I have posted in this thread are from this machine with the video drives running at 79%/99% fragmentation. My boot & program drive is an SSD.

While your 2.5" drives aren't helping anything, I don't think they are the primary issue. I think you have another issue.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
One comment I have is to move "Alerts" off of the C drive and onto the surveillance drive. I know that may seem counter intuitive, but it's working fine for me and gives me lots of space for alerts should I choose to allocate it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do not have your AntiVirus exclusions set properly. Read the BI help file on that subject.
That can have a significant impact on BI performance.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One comment I have is to move "Alerts" off of the C drive and onto the surveillance drive. I know that may seem counter intuitive, but it's working fine for me and gives me lots of space for alerts should I choose to allocate it.
But it is?

1643841668534.png
You do not have your AntiVirus exclusions set properly. Read the BI help file on that subject.
That can have a significant impact on BI performance.
Just added BlueIris.exe, parsecd.exe, and python.exe to process exceptions.

1643841418733.png

No change.
In fact, for some reason, now I'm idling at 80%. There's not even any motion being detected either! This is crazy!

1643841624653.png

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Shortly after that, BI decided to crash and restart itself.

Now idling at around 30%.

1643841784583.png

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Shouldn't I be seeing a massive difference in usage between selecting 'no' under hardware acceleration and using 'Intel+VPP'?

The screenshot above was using no hardware acceleration, and now I've just changed it back to 'Intel+VPP' in the global camera options, restarted all cameras in the BI console, and the usage is exactly the same.

1643841998557.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is still way high for your number of cameras and computer.

Is HW acceleration turned off both globally and in each camera? It is showing a high GPU load.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is HW acceleration turned off both globally and in each camera?
That last screenshot was HW acceleration turned ON globally and in each camera.

There's literally no difference either on or off. How is this possible?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What else is running for GPU to be at 55-60%. I turn mine off and it is zero. Even when I turn them all on with way more cameras than you I am nowhere near that number.