Placement of NVR in 2 story house?

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

Curious on where everyone is running their Ethernet cables to nvr. I have a 2 story house and a few options. Poe system.

I can run to a entry way closet where alarm panel is at that has a plug nearby and Ethernet would be an easy run through garage to this location for hardwired internet along with cameras through the stucco and routed through garage. I thought about laundry room cupboards but no power there.

Option -#2- run to upstairs via side of house and through attic to a spare bedroom closet or master bedroom closet and add a plug. Internet drop may be harder to get here.

Just trying to get ideas, 2 story built in 1996.

Thanks!

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming an IP based system. I would recommend the alarm closet. If you can put a monitor and keyboard in the at closet.
Where is your current router located? can you run ethernet from the router to the alarm closet.
Do you have a basement?

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ethernet, ip based.

Current analog setup uses a wireless extender. I guess we can run cat6 through garage and put service loops somewhere in there.

Last edited:

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Assuming an IP based system. I would recommend the alarm closet. If you can put a monitor and keyboard in the at closet.
Where is your current router located? can you run ethernet from the router to the alarm closet.
Do you have a basement?
Router run would be 20’ feet or so, I figure If someone breaks in they will go to room closets first and really easier runs to wire.no basement here in CA. I have a Monitor but prob not enough room to leave in the closet but Easy enough to hookup when needed.

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Great suggestion from SouthernYankee on the NVR location. Being an IP based system, it might make your life easier by running ethernet cabling from the top floor cameras to a PoE switch on the same floor (tucked in a closet, etc). Then you'll only need to run a single Ethernet cable down to the level where the router and/or NVR is located.

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great suggestion from SouthernYankee on the NVR location. Being an IP based system, it might make your life easier by running ethernet cabling from the top floor cameras to a PoE switch on the same floor (tucked in a closet, etc). Then you'll only need to run a single Ethernet cable down to the level where the router and/or NVR is located.
Thanks! Nvr has built in switch not sure how thatd work. If I keep nvr downstairs then run is easy for hardwired internet and maybe even hdmi to tv to other room.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks! Nvr has built in switch not sure how thatd work. If I keep nvr downstairs then run is easy for hardwired internet and maybe even hdmi to tv to other room.
NVR's with built in switch are designed for those with no existing network infrastructure. Run each Ethernet cable from camera to NVR, and your ready to Rock 'n Roll Record. However, you should still be able to capture the feeds of compatible IP cameras connected to second PoE switch that is connected (uplinked) to the NVR (or the same network the NVR is connected to).

What model NVR?

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
NVR's with built in switch are designed for those with no existing network infrastructure. Run each Ethernet cable from camera to NVR, and your ready to Rock 'n Roll Record. However, you should still be able to capture the feeds of compatible IP cameras connected to second PoE switch that is connected (uplinked) to the NVR (or the same network the NVR is connected to).

What model NVR?

Kept it simple for and got the AMCREST MODEL: NV4108E-IP5M-T1179EW4-2TB.
$365 with 4 turrets 5mp, couldn’t beat that. Will upgrade over time just want to get installed before rates go up! Lol

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Kept it simple for and got the AMCREST MODEL: NV4108E-IP5M-T1179EW4-2TB.
$365 with 4 turrets 5mp, couldn’t beat that. Will upgrade over time just want to get installed before rates go up! Lol
Not a bad deal, just be wary of 2 things:

First and most important, those cables they include with the kit are most likely CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) and are NOT to be used, IMO, especially with POE. You want solid (not stranded) pure copper (not CCA) conductors, CAT-5e or 6 with a jacket rated for your application (CMR = "Riser": for use between floors, in walls, crawl spaces and attics. CMP = "Plenum": exceeds CMR and costs more, you can use CMP where CMR is suitable but NOT vice versa).​
Secondly, the amazon text states "...IP67 Metal Turret POE IP Cameras"; maybe the IP5M-T1179EW4 suffix means ALL metal, I can't say. I got one of the IP5M-T1179EW 's last year from amazon and although the spherical ("eyeball") part that holds the actual sensor and lens is metal, it is retained and swivels in a plastic mount. For me, no biggie, I mount under soffits or roof eave out of direct sunlight anyway but just wanted you to be aware.​
Lastly, those cams will likely fit the Dahua PFA-130E junction box also.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Curious on where everyone is running their Ethernet cables to nvr. I have a 2 story house and a few options. Poe system.

I can run to a entry way closet where alarm panel is at that has a plug nearby and Ethernet would be an easy run through garage to this location for hardwired internet along with cameras through the stucco and routed through garage. I thought about laundry room cupboards but no power there.

Option -#2- run to upstairs via side of house and through attic to a spare bedroom closet or master bedroom closet and add a plug. Internet drop may be harder to get here.

Just trying to get ideas, 2 story built in 1996.

Thanks!
Hi @Slammed01

1) 2 story home
2) stucco
3) California

Question:
Do you have an attached garage? What is the layout? Typical with garage next to front door?
Where are the cameras going to be placed? ( sketch would be helpful )

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Um. when do we mention the MP/sensor is not ideal on these cameras and not to install 2.8mm cams on 2nd story if he plans to IDENTIFY strangers with it LOL...
You just did and a VERY good point.....was wrapped up in the location of NVR and running of cables (his question).
I'll let the others come up with their own excuses reasons. :highfive:

Last edited:

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @Slammed01

1) 2 story home
2) stucco
3) California

Question:
Do you have an attached garage? What is the layout? Typical with garage next to front door?
Where are the cameras going to be placed? ( sketch would be helpful )

Yes yes and yes. Attached and yes typical with garage by front door. Will try to put together sketch but 3 up front, 2 covering driveway/front, 1 at front door and 1 each side with 1 covering rear (maybe 2) depending on run/pricing of conduit.

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Um. when do we mention the MP/sensor is not ideal on these cameras and not to install 2.8mm cams on 2nd story if he plans to IDENTIFY strangers with it LOL...

Better than the 4k I was looking at, will slowly upgrade but need to get rid of analog system and install more expensive then cameras. Slowly will upgrade equipment but better than what I currently have.yes, I read the cliffs but $100/+ cam isn’t in budget and selected 5 mp cams have pretty good night vision from my friends I’ve seen and reviews. Happy didn’t get lured to Costco 4k lorex I almost bought.

Reaction score
Better than the 4k I was looking at, will slowly upgrade but need to get rid of analog system and install more expensive then cameras. Slowly will upgrade equipment but better than what I currently have.yes, I read the cliffs but $100/+ cam isn’t in budget and selected 5 mp cams have pretty good night vision from my friends I’ve seen and reviews. Happy didn’t get lured to Costco 4k lorex I almost bought.
I was kind of in the same boat as you Slammed01 (I have a single story house though). The great thing about this...do it a piece at a time. I as well could not afford $100 cameras at the time either. But now my system is complete, and for the most part, went as planned. All I have to do is to swap out two corner cameras with the $100 and up ones, and I am good to go. Take your time, draw it out, plan it out and do it once. Except for playing attic rat, I had a blast doing it. Don't skimp on the DVR....whatever you choose to use. GREAT information and tons of help here.

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was kind of in the same boat as you Slammed01 (I have a single story house though). The great thing about this...do it a piece at a time. I as well could not afford $100 cameras at the time either. But now my system is complete, and for the most part, went as planned. All I have to do is to swap out two corner cameras with the $100 and up ones, and I am good to go. Take your time, draw it out, plan it out and do it once. Except for playing attic rat, I had a blast doing it. Don't skimp on the DVR....whatever you choose to use. GREAT information and tons of help here.

Thank you! Def learning a lot and can’t wait to ditch these analog cameras haha.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well he is purchasing a kit, so it is a skimpy NVR limited to bandwidth of 80Mbps, but hey we all start somewhere!

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well he is purchasing a kit, so it is a skimpy NVR limited to bandwidth of 80Mbps, but hey we all start somewhere!

Yes but easy to swap out later I couldn’t get 4 turrets and a nvr for $350 anywhere else. But yes I know you all have seen the light.... been looking at nvr thought to possibly snag a better one since install was pushed back.