Pixelated Footage

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've recently installed several T5442T-ZE along with a Blue Iris machine but I'm having a pixelation issue that I cant resolve. The camera feeds, both live from the camera direct and in Blue iris, as well as the recordings, are pixelated and I'm not sure what the issue is. Given that it happens when connected directly to the cams, I think that eliminates Blue Iris as the source but I don't know what the issue may be. I attached a sample image below. This is how the view is from all cams on the network.

Is this something caused by a bad POE switch? Something else? The 5442 images look like they'll be incredible once I get this fixed.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A lot more information is needed.

What is the network layout? Camera>switch>BI PC or camera>switch>router>BI PC?

Have you taken them off of default "auto" settings and set exposure, gain, compensation, BLC/WDR.

Every camera needs to be adjusted to fit the location due to lighting, shadows, motion and so on. Leaving everything on "auto" is an "auto" failure.

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How much of a crop is that image? That almost looks like low-bitrate substream, rather than the main stream.

I wonder if this is VBR or h264+/h265+ issues. I don't use codec plus, nor do I use variable bit rates.

Beyond those, I'd be looking at network issues/packet loss.

Also confirm recording vs live view. Play back a downloaded recording and see if it looks any better in a video player, outside of a web browser. There are many areas where things can go wrong.

With bad poe, I'd expect the cameras to crash/power cycle.

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the quick responses.

The network layout is cam to poe switch to BI to router. They are isolated on their own vlan.

I'll review each cams settings tomorrow and report back. Currently the main streams are h265 and CBR. I don't know the minimum bit rate off the top of my head.

The image was cropped from a main stream. Sub stream is even worse with pixelation. To confirm, the issue is present in both live and recorded views. I'll try an external player tomorrow but I suspect it'll be present.

The cameras are not having power issues so I imagine you're correct about it not being the switch but was worth mentioning.

really appreciate the help!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running 5442s at 10240, CBR for the main stream and 5120/CBR for the sub stream. Most people are running at 8192/CBR for the main stream and, probably, 2048/CBR for the sub stream. I only use H264, never H265 or any of the other semi-non-standard codecs.

Reaction score
I'm running 5442s at 10240, CBR for the main stream and 5120/CBR for the sub stream. Most people are running at 8192/CBR for the main stream and, probably, 2048/CBR for the sub stream. I only use H264, never H265 or any of the other semi-non-standard codecs.
So it appears its cam setting related. I applied these settings and there is a definitive improvement. The picture has cleared up when full screen but some stuttering is present and when multiple cams are displayed, its still heavily pixelated. Looks like more tweaking is required but I'm new to the camera settings

Reaction score
Any other pertinent things I should tinker with? Do you manually set the 5442's to dahua or use the generic settings it acquires when you inspect it?

thanks for the help

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Other than the bitrate and codec @sebastiantombs mentioned, next to look at is your exposure tab settings

5442s do run overly sharp out of the box so maybe cut sharpness back to 40-45

You said cropped…..you didn’t digital zoom did you? can you show us a full res native image?

How are you viewing it? Via the NVR or?

Reaction score
Other than the bitrate and codec @sebastiantombs mentioned, next to look at is your exposure tab settings

5442s do run overly sharp out of the box so maybe cut sharpness back to 40-45

You said cropped…..you didn’t digital zoom did you? can you show us a full res native image?

How are you viewing it? Via the NVR or?

The image I posted was taken using the windows snip tool while viewing full screen in UI3. I can grab another image sure. I've been viewing via the cam itself, UI3 and BI directly.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok I’m not a BI guy but it looks either digitally zoomed, very low bitrate, or some codec like h.265 (that doesn’t work)
Is it possible you’re “snipping” a low res substream image?

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last year I experienced unusual pixelation on a Dahua camera that somehow had its ROI (region of interest) turned on. So check each camera and confirm this function is disabled.

The ROI setting is in the camera's Video setup page.

- Thomas