PIR Sensors

TWallace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm interested in using PIR sensors to trigger motion detection email alerts because I'm tired of the many false alarms that image based motion detection is causing. 3 of my cameras have alarm ports which I think can be connected to a PIR sensor, but then I'd need to power the sensor as well as I don't think the alarm port sends power. That's not ideal as it'd be quite a hassle to run power to those locations. I have 7 other cameras that do not have alarm ports. So ideally I'd like to have sensors independent of the cameras. I have porch lights by all 3 doors and 3 motion detection lights in other places. I was thinking I could tap into the power already run to those to wire up a PIR sensor.

I've found quite a few wireless zwave devices, but they all seem to use batteries and many of them seem like they're made for indoor use, whereas I need outdoor sensors. I'd prefer to use AC powered sensors, because I don't want to have to be climbing ladders to replace batteries every few months. If they're AC powered, they'd need to be able to communicate wirelessly (zwave, wifi or something else?).

Most of the wired sensors I've seen are made for use with arduino or with home security systems. I have neither.

So, are there good AC powered outdoor PIR sensors? Or am I going about this wrong? Is there a different way I should try to do this?

Maybe I can use a PoE splitter to separate network/power and then use the DC power (split it somehow into two cords, one for camera power, one for PIR power, assuming there'd be enough power to run both)? Seems like all the DC powered PIR sensors I've found do not have a way to communicate wirelessly and are meant for simply turning a light on when motion is detected.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
use a PoE to 12vdc splitter and now you have power for your motion sensors.. Ive got a couple wired up this way.

TWallace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
use a PoE to 12vdc splitter and now you have power for your motion sensors.. Ive got a couple wired up this way.
Thanks nayr, any idea which PIR sensors I should be looking at, though? Is this only applicable to the 3 cameras I have with alarm ports? Or are there DC powered outdoor PIR sensors that can communicate wirelessly (zwave, wifi or other?). I'm planning on writing a NodeJS app to talk to Blue Iris via the JSON api to trigger motion alerts on cameras. But I need some way for the sensors to send http calls to the NodeJS endpoint.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
any wired PIR sensor will work with your alarm inputs, I take it these are outdoors? If you want to wire it up on the network w/out the camera you should look at the sealevel GPIO devices as they work w/BlueIris out of the box..

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks nayr, any idea which PIR sensors I should be looking at, though?
I'm interested in the Bosch OD850, mostly because it uses PIR plus microwave for detecting things. Sounds like it reduces false positives even more.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most outdoor motion sensors are designed to cover fairly large areas, some cover smaller areas. So part of it's a choice, do you want to cover a large area or are you mostly concerned about motion that's closer to your doors/cameras.

The SeaLevel 120E is mentioned fairly often for Blue Iris I/O

TWallace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking at motion close to the house, say within 20' roughly. Anything beyond that is likely just neighbors walking or driving by and I don't want to be alerted to that. I'll take a look at the SeaLevel devices.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I've used the Bosch OD850, powered by a POE splitter. It works very well. Range/sensitivity is adjustable.
I've used laser lines as well.
I've connected the sensors to the camera ext alarm input (on cams so equipped)
I've run sensors back to the NVR, for cams w/o alarm inputs, and for when the sensor isn't collocated with the cam.
"Local Alarms", Dahua's term for sensors connected to the NVR, can generate events almost identical to camera alarms generated by IVS or cam-connected sensors.

So TWallace, it comes down to cable routing & wiring
Fastb

TWallace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So TWallace, it comes down to cable routing & wiring
Fastb
Currently I have 2 network switches in the attic which connects all the cameras to the network. If I could add a device in the attic (SeaLevel 120e?) and connect that to the network in the same way, I'd be ok with that. Would then just need to purchase sensors (not sure which ones) to attach to the SeaLevel device and run wiring for them.