PIPELINE_ERROR_DECODE issue with UI3 on Chrome/Android

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Just checking to see if there is a workaround regarding PIPELINE_ERROR_DECODE problems when using Chrome browser on Android device. I see this issue often on Android devices such as Samsung S9 or Samsung Tablet. This appears to be specific to Android and Chrome. Oddly enough, the Dahua wedge cam (E3241F-AS-M using H.265) and PTZ (SD49225XA-HNR using H.264) never seem to have the pipleline issue but other cams such as T2431T-AS, T5442T-ZE and HDBW5441F-AS-E2 (all H.265) seem to have this issue 90% of the time. Is there a setting to resolve this or is the solution simply to use a different browser when using UI3 on an Android device?

1657395755834.png

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Using Opera browser on Android seems to be one solution. Was just checking to see if anyone is using Chrome on Android device to access UI3 and experienced this issue and what the solution was.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Those errors are really rare in my experience so if you're getting them all the time, that likely indicates a problem either with the viewing device or its software versions, or your particular Blue Iris version or configuration. Can you take a screenshot of Blue Iris's web server settings > advanced > streaming 0 profile > configure? Might have some clues if you changed anything there.

If you go to UI Settings > Video Player and change it to JavaScript, that will probably work but it is a much slower and less efficient player so I don't recommend it on battery-powered stuff. If Opera works, go with that for a while and maybe try Chrome again when it updates next, if that is your preference.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also I'm curious if you're trying to use Blue Iris's new "direct-to-wire" streaming capability. It throws a whole new set of problems into the mix and I don't really recommend using it.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Those errors are really rare in my experience so if you're getting them all the time, that likely indicates a problem either with the viewing device or its software versions, or your particular Blue Iris version or configuration. Can you take a screenshot of Blue Iris's web server settings > advanced > streaming 0 profile > configure? Might have some clues if you changed anything there.

If you go to UI Settings > Video Player and change it to JavaScript, that will probably work but it is a much slower and less efficient player so I don't recommend it on battery-powered stuff. If Opera works, go with that for a while and maybe try Chrome again when it updates next, if that is your preference.
I had mentioned that two of 9 cams (PTZ and Wedge) don't seem to have this issue but the 7 others do. Interestingly enough, the 2 cams without issue are 2MP and the 7 that have this issue quite often are 4MP cams. Is there a setting I'm supposed to tweak depending on the resolution of the cams?

1657401938717.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, no setting you're supposed to change. Those settings all look like defaults, which is perfect, just what UI3 was designed for.

It is interesting that the higher resolution cameras are the only ones with problems. Blue Iris is encoding all the video that is sent to UI3, using Blue Iris's own video encoder, and that results in very predictable and (normally) usable video no matter what the source camera is. I suggest you try some of UI3's other streaming profiles to see if they give you better behavior.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Intestesting....when I use the 2MP profile all cams stream perfectly. If I select the 4MP profile the 4MP PTZ and 2MP wedge cam continue to stream correctly but the other 4MP cams have the pipeline issue.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't see a pipeline decode error but have a look at this post -

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Pretty much the Opera browser intermittently gives the pipeline error too but not as badly (thus far) as Chrome browser....this is specific to Android (cell phone or tablet). The only solution I found was to use the 2MP profile instead of the 4MP profile in UI3.

kermitjr

n3wb
Reaction score
SOLVED: This has driven me nuts on Android Pixel (3/5/6a/7) and Chrome / Opera / Firefox. The solution is to go to Blue Iris >> Settings >> Web Server >> Advanced >> Configure (content streaming profiles) >> chang AUDIO: AAC to AUDIO MP3.

Voila!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
SOLVED: This has driven me nuts on Android Pixel (3/5/6a/7) and Chrome / Opera / Firefox. The solution is to go to Blue Iris >> Settings >> Web Server >> Advanced >> Configure (content streaming profiles) >> chang AUDIO: AAC to AUDIO MP3.

Voila!
That is bizarre, because I have never been able to identify any effect whatsoever from that audio codec setting. Maybe it does something entirely unexpected on the backend.

UI3 does not receive either AAC or MP3 for the audio stream. Never has.

The way Blue Iris streams audio to UI3, the only available codecs are "μ-law" and "FLAC", and the setting to choose between them is only in UI3's settings, not exposed in Blue Iris at all. Furthermore I've never seen UI3's audio player code produce an error message like the one from this thread. Errors like that always come from the HTML5 video player (which does not do the audio processing in UI3).

un1que1

n3wb
Reaction score
I would get
PIPELINE_ERROR_DECODE.....

everytime I would zoom in to a certain point and it would cause other programs to crash I made the audio change and it works like a champ now. THANK YOU!!!

Voila!