Pink tint, don't think it's IR filter

Rubke

n3wb
Reaction score
Today I noticed something strange. This morning, a few minutes after the camera switched from B&W to color (with an audible click) the image gradually turned pinkish. Before and after the image looked normal.
Same thing happened this evening 20 minutes before the camera switched to B&W again.

Before and after the pink tint (which gradually comes and goes, in small visible steps, with a few seconds in-between each step) the colors are normal. As you can clearly hear the IR filter switching and as the pinkish tint can only be seen on these 2 specific occasions and not continually during daytime I don't think the IR filter is stuck.

What do you think might be causing this?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
'Purple fringing' like mentioned here?

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are using H264+, try switching the camera to regular H264 and see if it goes away.

Rubke

n3wb
Reaction score
'Purple fringing' like mentioned here?
Forgot to mention it's a 5442ASE. Didn't do it this morning. Could indeed be this purple fringing!

Using H265.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have a pic? Wondering if it’s the same/similar issue that I had with my 5442-ase turret where one day randomly during the day the stream went all pink

IMG_8732.jpg

Rubke

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have a pic? Wondering if it’s the same/similar issue that I had with my 5442-ase turret where one day randomly during the day the stream went all pink

View attachment 102237
Here you go. Applied a small crop and blacked few things out.

And here normal image this morning as reference:

Was yours pink the entire day? Mine only two times during the day, for a few minutes length each time. Quite sure it wasn't a stuck IR filter as I heard it switching in the morning and evening.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Quite a problem that appears overtime as these cameras age :angry:

Rubke

n3wb
Reaction score
Quite a problem that appears overtime as these cameras age :angry:
Camera is only 2 months old... What do you think is causing this? I'm pretty sure it isn't the IR filter being stuck as 1) image before and after is normal and 2) pink tint gradually increases and decreases.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
If its still under warranty, I suggested swapping that unit out to see if the problem goes away; if the problem persists, its clearly a design / quality control issue :(

Camera is only 2 months old... What do you think is causing this? I'm pretty sure it isn't the IR filter being stuck as 1) image before and after is normal and 2) pink tint gradually increases and decreases.

Rubke

n3wb
Reaction score
This evening, a little after sundown, I noticed the same pink tint on the image. When looking out of the window the sky itself was pinkish as well. I took a photo with my phone, and guess what, same tint could be seen. Few minutes later when the tint couldn't be seen on the 5442 anymore it also couldn't be seen anymore on a photo taken with my phone.

Yesterday the pink tint could be seen a little before sunset and a little after sundown.
So probably, as these cameras are really light sensitive, they pick up the pinkish tint which is actually there, and show (and exaggerate) it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This evening, a little after sundown, I noticed the same pink tint on the image. When looking out of the window the sky itself was pinkish as well. I took a photo with my phone, and guess what, same tint could be seen. Few minutes later when the tint couldn't be seen on the 5442 anymore it also couldn't be seen anymore on a photo taken with my phone.

Yesterday the pink tint could be seen a little before sunset and a little after sundown.
So probably, as these cameras are really light sensitive, they pick up the pinkish tint which is actually there, and show (and exaggerate) it.
I have one facing south that does the same depending on cloud cover.