Pinhole

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Whats the best pinhole cam, highest resolution, BI Compatible, POE or powered in the $400 range?

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They seem like they are priced pretty close but maybe I don't have good sources. Where might I find the best price?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used Huaben for both hikvision and dahua...note that the camera is available is various lens types and cable lengths so look at the specs...
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bE0mxb7i

I have seen them for a bit less about 165 but i dont know anything about the other sellers..
Note the 119 unit is a steal of a deal if that lens housing works for you..it may be a pricing error...

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, the 119 is tempting. Okay, now I guess I need a lens education. I am monitoring smaller areas, rooms about 12 x 12 feet or so. No long distances. Which lens would you recommend?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at the spec sheets..the two pinhole variants seems to be a 3.7mm lens but only 63 degree andgle of view....
http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014030617394252141.pdf
the tube lens on the other hand is available in various sizes....the 4mm default giving you 73 degrees....you can go wider with 2.8 or even 2mm but i would not go lower than 2.8 unless absolutely needed. The 2mm will probably be too wide and you will get a distorted image and loose too much detail...http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014030617400588936.pdf
The pinhole is good if you will be hiding the camera in a wall or some object and you dont want it visible at all. If you just want a small less noticeable camera the tube us better...
Note that the 4mm has a wider view than the 3.7mm in this specific instance because the focal ratio is different...one is F2.0 the other 2.3...
Normally with the same specs the lower the mm the wider the angle of view.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the 2.8mm is usually ~90 degree FOV, which is good for a small contained area on an inside corner.. it will give you wall to wall coverage.. so all actions will be recorded, nothing out of frame.

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was trying to place an order and I get a message that neither of the pinhole cameras can be shipped to my country. Any thoughts about that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats weird. Email them and let them know what going on...or try another seller with good reviews
If you are in rush wrightwood has the 2.8mm tube one for 250 and i believe LTS (member @milkisbad) has them as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was trying to place the oder on my iPhone and thats when I received the "can not ship to your country". I tried to place the order on my computer and it worked. Now to find a credit card that will be accepted. My credit cards are not being accepted at this Huaben site (mostly wells fargo).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Aliexpress processes the cards not huaben...you should be able to use any visa or mastercard....

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You were right on the pricing mistake!! Received this message:

Mary Lee2014-10-12 06:21:36
our guy made a mistake

Mary Lee2014-10-12 06:21:24
sorry,the correct price is 158.99usd

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, to be fair 158 is still a good price... Mary lee has always been very responsive to my emails. Also if you buy a few cameras you can get a discount of free dhl shippong..just email her in advance...agree on a price...place the order and wait for her to adjust the price before you pay for it. (they have a two step process so you can place an order before actually paying).

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mary Lee helped me complete the transaction using PayPal which made it easy. Do they usually ship stuff pretty promptly?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on if its in stock or not. Generally its takes 3-4 days until its shipped. If shipped via post its about two weeks until you get it. DHL is about 4 days...I noticed that shipments via dhl are more likely to get charged a fee at customs...(its usually only a few dollars)....

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am pretty happy with my ds-2cd6412fed hikvision but would like to get better resolution. What's are some higher level pinholes that will get me even better resolution? .