Pilot Error or a Bug in BI?

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A few months ago I changed from AITOOL which was actually working faultlessly to the integrated AI built into BI. Initially everything seemed to be working ok but over time I noticed I was missing events.
The first issue I found is that if the camera triggers and AI does not recognise anything the camera appears to do nothing for the 30 seconds that it is set to trigger for i.e it block's Alerts for 30 seconds while the camera image has a red frame.
To compensate I set the Alerts to Re-Trigger but this causes the recording to cancel after 10 to 15 seconds instead of recording for the 30 seconds minimum setting! Why?
I appreciate this is not a major issue for users that record continuously which is perhaps why it has not been picked up before. Unless I can resolve the issue I guess I will be forced to go back to using AITOOL.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like it is working as intended.

You will find that AITOOL at the moment has way more granular features and options than the integrated Deepstack with BI.

The BI integration is more about the simplicity of operation over the fine detail granular level some of the 3rd party tools provide. But the 3rd party is usually harder for a novice to set up as well. The BI integration allows a novice to set it up with a download and few check box clicks and not having to deal with Dockers, etc.

Do not get me wrong, it is no slouch and has come a long way since it was first introduced, but many people coming from the 3rd party end up going back because of the more detailed settings you can set in something like AITOOL.

The time for motion trigger in BI has absolutely nothing (well mostly nothing) to do with how long deepstack is engaged during that event, that is set elsewhere. It is totally possible to have the trigger occur longer than Deepstack will analyze.

In the AI setting for the camera is the option to tell it how many images to send and at what time frequency (pre-set pull down options). It is totally possible that Deepstack analyzes the first 4 images and determines nothing is there and doesn't send the rest of the images and then comes up with the Nothing Found. This can happen with headlight shine that causes a camera trigger but the car is still too far away, so deepstack analyzes the first few frames and if appears all is stationary, it cancels.

You can get around that by putting in the to cancel box something like Zebra or Banana or Toilet. That will force Deepstack to analyze EVERY image for the number of images and at the time interval you select and then if it finds something, it will use the best picture for the alert image. But this can drive CPU up because if it finds the object in the 4th image and you tell it to analyze 20, it will still go thru all 20. Depending on your system, this could also cause Deepstack to timeout and then show nothing.

Here is an example of how the To Cancel option works. At night, my one camera, that has a straight on angle of the street to get a side profile of a car, would either find a car but the alert image would be the lightshine on the street or just a part of the vehicle, or it would trigger out nothing found due to headlight bounce off the street.

1642735397709.png

Once I added a banana in the cancel field, it now will go thru all the images and select the best one, which gives me the whole vehicle in the frame. It makes for scrubbing video much quicker as I can skip looking at video of known vehicles.

1642735454496.png

Many people have ran both simultaneously and found that they performed the same and caught the same triggers, but the BI integration was easier to set up so they went with that. Others that ran both at the same time said the 3rd party was more accurate so they went back to it. It is field of view and system specific. YMMV.

It sounds like you have a problematic field of view for the BI integration and if the tips I provided still don't get you the results you need, then you probably need to stay with the 3rd party tool until the BI integration matures more. But for most of us, this is spot on and uses less resources and a lot simpler than a 3rd party.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you for your in depth response. Just to clarify that I have understood, are you saying that it is not possible to setup BI AI to emulate the fundamental operation of AITOOL?

For example: After trigger, upon detection of a person. record for a minimum of 30 seconds. If not a person trigger again immediately if movement detected and start the cycle again.

It seems to me to be a show stopper if this simple functionality cannot be emulated. FYI I already have the AI setup to capture an additional 5 frames if a person is not recognised on the initial trigger but assumed it would continue to snap frames even without the banana trick and send an alert if any frame contained a person.