Pi-hole

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm considering using Pi-hole to block ads on my network. I'm a noob with this kind of stuff, but want to press forward because I'm tired of trying to block ads on my browsers, phones and smart TVs. I tried to block ads using my Netgear R7000 router, but it's not up to the task--allows only a limited number of keywords to block and doesn't seem to block any https addresses.

I don't have a linux machine of any type--no raspberry pi either. But I have one Win 10 Pro machine that I could activate Hyper V and install Docker on, but it's my dedicated Blue Iris machine...I haven't used it for anything else. I'm not using a VPN on this machine (I know I should, but both my router and my skills are limited). Is it ill-advised to run Pi-hole (using Docker) in the background on a dedicated Blue Iris machine?
I'm running Blue Iris and Home Assistant (inside Docker) on the same machine and don't have any issues. Pi Hole isn't resource intensive so I think if your computer has a little spare capacity it should be fine (obligatory it will probably run better on an SSD statement here). I'm running Pi Hole on a Raspberry Pi and I do love it. I get a little self righteous at work when there are 20,000 ads per web page to the point that I've considered doing Pi Hole on my workstation.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Run AdBlock or another browser-based blocker on top and you can get rid of most of the empty boxes too. Sometimes you can get the empty space to close up, sometimes not. Depends how the page is done.

It's odd when I use some other computer without ad blocking to access a familiar site. Like "WTF is all this extra crap?" ; )
When I first ran Disconnect.me and I saw all the Trackers following me to Amazon, about 30 avg. now a days, it quickly gave me a picture of why I was getting bombarded with personalized ads, they were watching everything I searched for. Sad world we live in. After a few months, ALL of those Ads disappeared. That was half a decade ago but I still am using Disconnect.me, on our phones too.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I couldn't have installed it without my son's help but once its installed its great:
View attachment 76922
84.7% blocked!? That's kind of funny.

Looks like mine is only ~21%. And I thought I'd gone heavy in blocking a lot of the bigger trackers.

Must have many in your blacklist (I show ~85,000 domains in blocklist vs your ~97,000) and/or do things that involve hitting blocked domains a lot.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks like I'll be going with a 6 port NIC on either an i5 or i7. I will need to do failover and load balancing as well, so the extra ports could be usefull. Really appreciate all your info as it shows the possibilities of what can be done once you get past consumer grade router/firewalls. It's a world of difference, and open source! Thanks, again.
I am running this one,

with no problems, even at a good size business office. Here is a pic of the one here at the house, It is doing a server backup on the first WAN connection, (1G fiber) only 4-5% processor, seldom see more then 8%, and it's on adaptive processor speed.
I run snort at the office, but not here. It keeps messing with some of my remote connections, and I have not taken the time to dig into it.
Fail-over works great! Load balancing works OK, (use sticky connections) but you really need to use gate way links to the same provider. I have 3 different providers coming in here, 1 is wireless, 1 is fiber, 1 is cable, so times vary quite a bit.
PFblockerNG works great for blocking ads.
If you are running PF sense, make sure you have the update from June in it!! There is a problem with the admin login if you have it open to the WAN, it can be a problem. Make sure you change port number and disable the redirect from port 80!!!!
I have mine all set to access the web GUI on LAN or VPN only, no reason to leave low hanging fruit out there.

Dashboard.jpgPackages.jpg

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am running this one,
I am running the same 6 port device - but I bought direct from the Manufacturer in China - Yanling. I went with the bare bones, i5 7200u cpu - which is overkill for just pfSense but I am running ESXI 6.7 and pfSense is virtualized along with a Win10 VM running my HomeSeer (home automation) software. I really like the ability to make automatic backups every night with Veeam

Anyone interested in pfSense should check out the Lawrence Systems YouTube channel:

Protectli manufacturer appears to be Yanling. Covid-19 has really affected shipping prices. The 6 port with the top processor is currently $300 vs $500 at Protectli but FedEx shipping is now $114. ( paid $52 for shipping when I bought mine a couple of months ago and I thought that was high)

Tri -  1593.jpg

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I paid $329 with 4G ram and 32G drive, Free shipping, for the last 2 we bought.
I should just order from AliExpress and stock one, a lot cheaper.
Lawrence Systems U tube is great for learning how to configure.
Between Lawrence and lock picking lawyer, I can be entertained all evening.:)
Last while a new contract has had me hopping 12 hour days, ready for a u tube break!

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I was very pleased with the Yanling device. The only difference I noted was the ports are labeled differently (1-6). What finally got me off the fence was watching one of Tom's video's where he takes the Protectli apart, and you can clearly see Yanling logo in the white oval (center left on the motherboard) and there is a sticker at the bottom (by the yellow battery) that has YL-SKUL-6

Tri -  1599.jpg

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
When shipping drops, I can pick up a couple.

I wonder how well one would run Blue Iris?
128G drive and 8g ram should run it with a few cameras. I might have to play..