Phantom movement detection in the same place

lunokhod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I've been noticing this for a while now, but only after enabling Dynamic Analysis for Motion on my Hikvision camera did I see why I had been seeing hours upon hours of video being recorded with no visible motion!

I'm finding that my Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I camera seems to be triggering a Basic Event in the same place... even when there is NO movement!

I'm using Hikvision iVMS-4200 PC-NVR

Time of day doesn't seem to matter, but it doesn't happen during the night. Sometimes it lasts for a few seconds, sometimes I have an hour long recording of nothing. It doesn't seem to matter what way the sun is pointing, it happens early in the morning, midday, mid afternoon.

I've tried reducing sensitivity down from 60 to 40 and it still happens... the only thing this does is stops the camera from triggering on REAL movement activity.

The only thing I haven't done so far is move the camera around and see if the triggered area follows the camera. My feeling is that this is something within the camera.

Here are some unlisted YouTube videos showing this problem. Sorry for the potato quality, I had to take them off the PC screen so you can see the green triggered area square. In one of them you can see the camera false triggering and missing a nice high contrast black cat (Basic Event sensitivity at 40).

My next plan is to draw around this area in "Expert" mode and see if that is a workaround. I'm also wondering how to minimize false triggering due to things like cloud movements. Can these cameras be smart enough to realize that things aren't moving when light density changes rapidly?

Any other ideas? :)

Michael.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is how it is; your just going to have to learn to live with it.. I record continuously and just use that shit to flag possible events.. if you want notifications you need external analytics like BlueIris or real motion sensors.

if its constantly going off its probably noise, its just looking for changing pixels afterall.. try making your zones smaller.

lunokhod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought I would follow up on my thread.

I've since bought two more of the same Hikvision cameras. All have now been updated to the latest firmware (after the privilege escalation discovery) , and all three exhibit this behavior.

Right in the middle of the video frame, a movement detection block flashes... when there is no movement.

I worked around this issue with my first camera by drawing movement zones to miss the problem area. Looks like I'll have to do the same with the new cameras too.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think he's taking video with his iPhone of the screen.....

Looks to be in relatively the same place each time. Are you using WDR? I know with my one cam which because of its location exactly like that, (looking out of shade into bright sunshine/reflective area), WDR adjusts quite a bit and if we get a real bright Florida sunny day with clouds racing by which changes the scene rather intensely and quickly, my MD will fire off due to the pixel changes where WDR is trying to compensate. That spot looks to be the brightest in the scene, kinda think it's either WDR working or just an overexposed spot...

I would try messing with the WDR setting and/or darkening the scene, or mebby playing with contrast.

Then again I could be full of shit :)

lunokhod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I was taking a video directly of the PC screen showing the PCNVR software, that way you can see the green blocks that indicates where motion was detected.

With my first camera, this false detection would happen at different times of the day, morning and afternoon (but never at night), in full sunlight and with overcast conditions.

With my newer Hikvision cameras, this false detection also happens at different times of the day but it looks to be in exactly the same place in the video frame as the first camera. If I aim the cameras in a different direction, the false detection always happens in the same place in the video frame. it follows the camera... it's not something IRL that is triggering the detection.

These events can last for a minute... or ten minutes.

I do understand that motion detection within the Hikvision cameras is quite primitive. Rapid changes in brightness (cloud movements) will set it off, bugs at night are a continual problem.

I've got some more video clips linked below. I have created motion detection areas around the clothesline in the backyard and that avoid the neighbors yard (I did offer to create a privacy mask but he's cool with me overlooking his yard.).

Last edited: