PFA137 mod

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Simple mod:
The PFA137 thread is sharp enough to let the whole plastic assembly go in from the outside.
Water proofed it.
I did not want to install conduit on my house so this looks and works perfect.

Attachments

Last edited:

HereBull

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice! Hope you're using outdoor rated cable though, UV is pretty harsh on cabling.

If I might ask, location too difficult to run cable inside the house to? IE masonry or just hard to get to?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice! Hope you're using outdoor rated cable though, UV is pretty harsh on cabling.

If I might ask, location too difficult to run cable inside the house to? IE masonry or just hard to get to?
It will be fine... I personally have never seen a quality cable damaged by uv...

HereBull

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It will be fine... I personally have never seen a quality cable damaged by uv...
I guess it all depends on location and exposure. I've personally had to repair some runs where cheap installers ran indoor Cat5 across a rooftop for wireless AP's. Cable all cracked and brittle, line still ran but I'd be worried about water intrusion at some point.

Edit - I live in NC so UV is brutal out here on cable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on location and exposure. I've personally had to repair some runs where cheap installers ran indoor Cat5 across a rooftop for wireless AP's. Cable all cracked and brittle, line still ran but I'd be worried about water intrusion at some point.

Rooftop is way different...

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Yes I using good cable. The cable runs
I can not run cable inside in this location because of a wood beam behind it.

Spudz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you use weatherproof connections included with the turret camera for the RJ45 connection would that not be all that matters? Just trying to understand what is the reason for this mod if the connection is waterproof?

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This for conduit or a large cable...
The point of this mod is to use the included accessories to make a permanent and easy install...

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can get ones that will directly screw into the PFA37 and watertight clamp cat 6. Very standard size for "cable glands"

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score

Is there anything that can protect a cable that must run on a roof? I have one line that's exposed for about six feet of it on a roof. Pain but unavoidable.

HereBull

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use ubiquiti toughcable pro and it stands up to being fully exposed in the tropics. Dare same it would be same in opposite climatic extremes.

Bit of a pain to work with and pricey but best I can get in this part of the world.
Another thumbs up for Toughcable Pro, they have two levels and you're fine with the Pro series. (Carrier series is much better but extremely stiff and VERY hard to work with)

Keep in mind that since Pro and Carrier both have shielding in them, you will really want to use the TC connectors as well. I've heard that by using non shielded/drained connectors, that cable run would be acting as a large antenna since it is foil wrapped. I've never run any tests myself to see if there is a dramatic difference but always nice to do it right all the way around. Just like the cable, there are two types of connectors, the TC-CON and TC-GROUND. You want the TC-CON as the TC-GROUND connectors are even more of a nightmare to crimp.

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my opinion white cable on a white house in the corner under the roof is the easiest best looking solution.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Good ole PVC grey conduit.
I've been planning on that. The cable crosses from the front to the back in a flat roof 'valley' of sorts so the cable actually will lay right on boiling shingles. I was thinking of conduit but wasn't sure how well it would hold up over time. I've had unprotected spaghetti bnc wire in the same spot for five years without issue, amazingly so. It's the cheap stuff for analog runs. I bought good cat6 cable for the new install and I'd like to give it some kind of UV protection in that spot if possible.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been planning on that. The cable crosses from the front to the back in a flat roof 'valley' of sorts so the cable actually will lay right on boiling shingles. I was thinking of conduit but wasn't sure how well it would hold up over time. I've had unprotected spaghetti bnc wire in the same spot for five years without issue, amazingly so. It's the cheap stuff for analog runs. I bought good cat6 cable for the new install and I'd like to give it some kind of UV protection in that spot if possible.
PVC should last a looonng time, you might give the pvc a coat or two of white house paint to reduce the heat and provide more UV protection.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Op, sorry I crashed this thread with my roof stuff. I'll use pvc conduit. Then I just have to tack it down with something so the wind doesn't get hold of it.