PC with Blue Iris just too complicated. UAC issue

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dell Optiplex 9020 running Windows 10.

I asked about this many months ago but no luck, so the PC has just sat for months, with BI getting killed off upon any kind of reboot.

Whenever I click on the Blue Iris Admin icon, a window pops up: User Account Control, Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC? Yes/No" I have to respond or BI will not run.

When I put the startup icon in the startup menu I get "...requires elevation" which doesn't get around the UAC issue. I still have to intervene.

This is obviously a non-starter. If the PC reboots for Windows updates or power outage (no, I'm not adding a UPC), then my camera system is dead until I notice it and respond.

I haven't messed with Blue Iris much at all as I can't seem to solve this problem. No sense solving other issues if the software isn't allowed to start without user intervention.

I've read about Task Scheduler, Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit, UAC Pass, and Elevated Shortcut to get around the UAC issue but haven't tried setting any of them up for fear of making things worse.

I can't be the only one that has this problem.

Any help appreciated. Otherwise will go back to Hikvison NVR, simple plug and play.

There may be an nice PC for sale soon. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If setting up the task scheduler is too much effort, then yes, I suggest you sell the rig. Blue iris is highly customizable and if that 5 minuets of work is too much then you are better off without it. You will miss out on the many benefits that BI offers over a hikvision NVR.

Reaction score
Dell Optiplex 9020 running Windows 10.

I asked about this many months ago but no luck, so the PC has just sat for months, with BI getting killed off upon any kind of reboot.

Whenever I click on the Blue Iris Admin icon, a window pops up: User Account Control, Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC? Yes/No" I have to respond or BI will not run.

When I put the startup icon in the startup menu I get "...requires elevation" which doesn't get around the UAC issue. I still have to intervene.

This is obviously a non-starter. If the PC reboots for Windows updates or power outage (no, I'm not adding a UPC), then my camera system is dead until I notice it and respond.

I haven't messed with Blue Iris much at all as I can't seem to solve this problem. No sense solving other issues if the software isn't allowed to start without user intervention.

I've read about Task Scheduler, Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit, UAC Pass, and Elevated Shortcut to get around the UAC issue but haven't tried setting any of them up for fear of making things worse.

I can't be the only one that has this problem.

Any help appreciated. Otherwise will go back to Hikvison NVR, simple plug and play.

There may be an nice PC for sale soon. :)
Just run BI as a service as bp2008 has shown above. When BI is run as a service, it will automatically start in the background as soon as the computer boots up. It'll also automatically restart BI if it were to crash for whatever reason.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

BP2008,

Thank you!

It doesn't restart the view on the monitor but I checked task manager and it is running. To be honest I never checked task manager to see if it was running before your input.

I still need to answer yes when I want the view on screen, but the important thing is that it is recording!

If I also set up task scheduler, as Fenderman suggests, does that do anything for me? In other words, If I still have to click on the icon to display the images, then answering yes at the prompt is no big deal. But if setting up task scheduler means the screen displays without intervention, upon reboot, then that is a plus, but by no means a requirement/deal breaker. I suppose there is some benefit to turning on the monitor and not seeing the camera images, then I know something restarted. :0

Again, I thank you! Now I can start to learn BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you set it up using the elevated startup it will automatically restart with ZERO intervention. Set blue iris to restart in full screen mode and you are done. You can also use blue iris tools to restart blue iris. https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3895-How-to-get-Blue-Iris-to-automatically-start-when-restarting-PC-w-Windows-8-1?p=33159&viewfull=1#post33159
Also make sure you are starting blue iris using the BlueIrisAdmin.exe and are using an admin account on the pc.
Thanks fenderman! I will play around with this. I am so happy the PC records upon reboot. Now I can dig into BI.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not finding the Blue Iris turtorial on Sevenforums.com. But thanks to BP2008 and his tip to run BI as a service, I'm now on to learning BI and thrilled that a reboot starts BI so I don't miss recordings.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not finding the Blue Iris turtorial on Sevenforums.com. But thanks to BP2008 and his tip to run BI as a service, I'm now on to learning BI and thrilled that a reboot starts BI so I don't miss recordings.
its not blue iris specific, see the link i posted.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score