PC specs for Blue Iris

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am thinking of assembling a system together to run blue iris. I looked at many refurb SFF pc's like dell optiplex, in the end, I prefer something with relatively current specs. Most ($300 range) refurbs are 4 core i7's.

To that end, I am considering a six core i5, 16GB RAM and an SSD + WD purple drive for video. I plan to deploy at least six (possibly 8) 4K cams. Based on the formula in the wiki, about 250MP's are generated by two 4K cams @ 15FPS, I'll need 750MP's, for six 4K cams. That translates to getting at least a six core CPU for those six 4K cams
I won't need a video card because only integrated intel video is needed for Blue Iris. Lastly, I have a windows 10 pro x64 license already. So, the load on the power supply will be from mobo/RAM/CPU Fan/SSD/WD Purple. NIC and Video are part of mobo.

Based on the above, I have two questions:
1) since the focus is on cores, does it matter if I get an i5 versus an i7 CPU ?
2) I found a low profile case that comes integrated with a 300 watt power supply. It that adequate for this build or do I need to get a beefier standard power supply (and a case that would support it) ?

thank you !

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you plan on using DeepStack with Blue Iris I'd suggest a full sized case and something with a beefier power supply so it can support a GPU to handle the DeepStack processing. Yes, there are cards that will fit SFF and support DS, but it's easier to have the space and power if it's needed.

In terms of processing power, the more the merrier depending on your wallet.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you plan on using DeepStack with Blue Iris I'd suggest a full sized case and something with a beefier power supply so it can support a GPU to handle the DeepStack processing. Yes, there are cards that will fit SFF and support DS, but it's easier to have the space and power if it's needed.

In terms of processing power, the more the merrier depending on your wallet.
Thank you for the feedback, it is appreciated.

Deepstack is new to me so I will ramp up on it. I just did a quick google and found a great tutorial on deploying it:

Per that link, sounds like i can install an nVidia video card and offload the DeepStack processing onto it. So, does that mean, the intel quick sync is not needed (or required) for Blue Iris ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you should do the optimizations in the wiki and that will bring the MPs way down.

And which CPU model are you looking at - saying # cores is irrelevant. Some i5s will do better than i7s.

The generation of the CPU matters.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Quicksync can help lower CPU utilization by BI. However since the implementation of sub streams in BI it is not as critical as it once was.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Quicksync can help lower CPU utilization by BI. However since the implementation of sub streams in BI it is not as critical as it once was.

Thank you for your input. Will read up more regarding sub streams. If quicksync is no longer critical, does that mean I can explore using AMD CPU's ?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 6 core i-5 running 17 cams. have not implemented Deepstack. System is an HP Elitedesk SFF i5-8500, $360 ebay machine, per a recommendation of some guy here. I think He runs the Site. But newsflash, people are finding more Joy in Deepstack with GPU version. So I f I wanted in on the action, I'd have to hunt down a lower powered SFF card. not sure I'd experience the Joy. I have a GTX 1060 6GB laying here collecting dust. If I wanted to implement that, i'd need to build a diff PC.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
But at the Condo, do you really think I have the need or the time for that Deepstack stuff? Like how does it offer an edge?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cause all the cool kids are using it :lmao:

Most of my cameras have AI in it, which is great, but I use DeepStack to then get me a nice alert image on a few of my cams.

For example, my one camera to catch car details struggles at night because the headlight shine would trigger the alert picture early so then I wake up to X photos of headlight shine with no car, so I need to watch each clip to see if the car is one I recognize.

With DS, it now gives me an alert image with the vehicle in the frame.

I use it primarily to ease the scrubbing of video.

And I use it on a few of my dumb cameras without AI.