PC-NVR Setup

johnson333

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings,
I currently have a Laview LV-N9808C8E with 8-2mp cameras. Three of the poe ports stopped working. I have tried new cameras on them and also test my cat 5 cables. I installed this system about 7 years ago and I just assume the hardware is failing.

I have been researching these forums and I am thinking of purchasing Blue Iris software for an old pc I have with 16gb memory and i7-4770. So, my question is what other hardware do I need to run the original laview cameras on this pc? I figured I will need two poe switches to to be included on my home network for the cameras. Is there anything else I would need to get this up and running?

I looked into using my Synology NAS for my cameras but I am not paying $60 a camera.

I cannot seem to find my answers anywhere or I am just to simple to have the correct wording in my searches.

Thank you for any advice.

Jeff

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I could be wrong but if those cams can provide a RTSP stream and the POE they operate on is genuine 802.3af spec, then you should be able to power them with the POE switch(es) you mentioned and configure BI to work with their RTSP stream.

The PC you mentioned should be OK, just optimize as per the Wiki.

What model # is the cam?

P.S. Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:

johnson333

n3wb
Reaction score
I could be wrong but if those cams can provide a RTSP stream and the POE they operate on is genuine 802.3af spec, then you should be able to power them with the POE switch(es) you mentioned and configure BI to work with their RTSP stream.

The PC you mentioned should be OK, just optimize as per the Wiki.

What model # is the cam?

P.S. Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:
Two of the cameras are LV-KPC2C5, which were purchased off Amazon. I am not certain of the other 6, but they did come with the NVR. The manual for NVR and Cameras does not have the camera #. I just logged into the UI to see if I could find a model # for cameras, but nothing there.

Thank you

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
start simple , get a POE switch with 10 or more ports. Eight POE ports for the cameras, and two ports, one for the BI computer and One for the router. Make sure you get enough power on the POE ports, If you plan on adding more cameras get a bigger switch.

On the PC add a good quality 128 GB SSD for the C drive, at least a 4TB surveillance disk drive (WD purple) to store video. Do a clean install of windows 10 on the PC, use "microsoft media creation tool" . This MUST be a clean install of windows.

The I7-4770 will work well for a BI system.

I use a I7-4790 with 16 cameras at 700 MP/S.

johnson333

n3wb
Reaction score
start simple , get a POE switch with 10 or more ports. Eight POE ports for the cameras, and two ports, one for the BI computer and One for the router. Make sure you get enough power on the POE ports, If you plan on adding more cameras get a bigger switch.

On the PC add a good quality 128 GB SSD for the C drive, at least a 4TB surveillance disk drive (WD purple) to store video. Do a clean install of windows 10 on the PC, use "microsoft media creation tool" . This MUST be a clean install of windows.

The I7-4770 will work well for a BI system.

I use a I7-4790 with 16 cameras at 700 MP/S.
I have a 24 port switch that connects everything on my network. Am I able to connect a 10 port poe switch to my regular 24 port switch?

So pc to 10 port poe switch and 10 port poe switch to 24 port regular switch. Is that correct?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two of the cameras are LV-KPC2C5, which were purchased off Amazon. I am not certain of the other 6, but they did come with the NVR. The manual for NVR and Cameras does not have the camera #. I just logged into the UI to see if I could find a model # for cameras, but nothing there.
I can't find much either about those cam but being they are POE and likely OEM'ed by Hikvision, I'd be surprised if it wouldn't work with Blue Iris.
You can connect it to a POE switch, install the Blue Iris trial (free for 15 days, IIRC), put in the IP, username & password of the cam and click on "Find/Inspect" and let BI find the right configuration for the cam.

johnson333

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't find much either about those cam but being they are POE and likely OEM'ed by Hikvision, I'd be surprised if it wouldn't work with Blue Iris.
You can connect it to a POE switch, install the Blue Iris trial (free for 15 days, IIRC), put in the IP, username & password of the cam and click on "Find/Inspect" and let BI find the right configuration for the cam.
I know that when I purchased these cameras, they had to be ONVIF to work with the NVR. Not certain if that means anything.

I was just in the web UI of the NVR, I tried to update the firmware, but it failed and now no cameras work. This is great!

Thank you for you advice

JonDC

n3wb
Reaction score
I know I'm late to this thread, but I had 4 ports not connecting and made my backup my primary while working on this one. Tried testing connections, FW, made new CAT5, etc and was going to give replacing the broken RJ45 Rxs from the board a go (this is my backup NVR). I opened up the casing and immediately spotted the issue. Dust was caked on certain parts of the board and at two ports specifically. Gave it a good flux cleaning and board looks not only brand new (went ahead and disassembled components from case incl further breakdown of keypad board and power supply), but works as it did the day I bought it. Sometimes the simplest solutions work and in my case, that was it...dust, a computer's nightmare

johnson333

n3wb
Reaction score
I know I'm late to this thread, but I had 4 ports not connecting and made my backup my primary while working on this one. Tried testing connections, FW, made new CAT5, etc and was going to give replacing the broken RJ45 Rxs from the board a go (this is my backup NVR). I opened up the casing and immediately spotted the issue. Dust was caked on certain parts of the board and at two ports specifically. Gave it a good flux cleaning and board looks not only brand new (went ahead and disassembled components from case incl further breakdown of keypad board and power supply), but works as it did the day I bought it. Sometimes the simplest solutions work and in my case, that was it...dust, a computer's nightmare
I am going to do this. I am not sure why I did not think of that. I have about 8 computers in the house that I open up once a month for a good cleaning. Thank you for this post.

Now if I could just get my NVR to work with Blue Iris.