PC hardware question

kuramalt

n3wb
Reaction score
I haven't been paying attention to computer parts/gaming computer for a decade now.

So, sorry about the lack of knowledge.

I got a hand me down computer running 6770K - Z170 - GeForce 970 4G OC - 2*8GB.

The computer was giving me No display issue yesterday and I narrowed the problem down to the RAM.

If I install any RAM on B1 or B2, I have issue. I am able to run the computer with one 8G at R2.

R1 is blocked by the CPU cooler.

I am planning on using the computer to run blue iris. So longevity of the motherboard is in question.

Do I need to replace it or do I run it as long as it works?

If I want to have 16G RAM. Do I have other option beside : 1. down size CPU cooler. 2. buy 1X16G RAM?

Also, I believe the video card runs at 130W. In a 24/7 computer, that's quite some money. Does it offer anything in blue iris?

If not, is it a sellable part?

Thanks in advance.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're having a problem with memory slots I'd say it's time for a new mobo. Just my opinion, YMMV. 16GB of RAM is a good idea for Blue Iris. 8GB is a little on the light side. Either way, dual channel RAM is also a good idea.

The GT970 can be used by DeepStack, assuming you choose to use DS which is now supported by BI, for image analysis which will unload image analysis, and the spikes of CPU utilization on the CPU and may speed up detection. It is an older card but does have some value on the used market right now due to chip shortages and virtual currency mining. If you're only running DeepStack on it it ill probably draw in the neighborhood of 10-15 watts, not 130.

kuramalt

n3wb
Reaction score
If you're having a problem with memory slots I'd say it's time for a new mobo. Just my opinion, YMMV. 16GB of RAM is a good idea for Blue Iris. 8GB is a little on the light side. Either way, dual channel RAM is also a good idea.

The GT970 can be used by DeepStack, assuming you choose to use DS which is now supported by BI, for image analysis which will unload image analysis, and the spikes of CPU utilization on the CPU and may speed up detection. It is an older card but does have some value on the used market right now due to chip shortages and virtual currency mining. If you're only running DeepStack on it it ill probably draw in the neighborhood of 10-15 watts, not 130.
Great. Thank you so much for the information.
I probably going to buy a MoBo while it is still out there for backup and keep the Video card for DeepStack.
I took another look at the tower. It was the CPU cooler fan blocking the memory slot. Can I swing the fan to the other side make a extraction instead of pushing air? This could save me another memory.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Without knowing what mobo and what case you're using, no way to know. You do need a cooler installed directly on the CPU and usually the bigger the better. Have a look in the Wiki, in the blue bar, at the top of the page. There's a whole section on choosing hardware for BI.

Reaction score
Great. Thank you so much for the information.
I probably going to buy a MoBo while it is still out there for backup and keep the Video card for DeepStack.
I took another look at the tower. It was the CPU cooler fan blocking the memory slot. Can I swing the fan to the other side make a extraction instead of pushing air? This could save me another memory.
It sounds like you are going to wind up building a new system-- and you didn't mention what you have for storage. Don't build (unless it's just for your own fun), as you won't be saving money. Go on E-bay and get a small tower with an SSD for $200 from Dell or HP or Lenovo, add a WD Purple 4 or 8 TB drive, and you're in business. I am currently running an old Dell tower with a 4th gen I-5 with 7 cams that stays roughly at 6% to 8% CPU utilization.
1626389905916.png

The major advances in BI efficiency in the last 2 years means you can use an older and dirt cheap machine for several years with no problem. No need to spend a bunch on that part of your cam system. Good luck with your setup! :thumb:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
oh....I haven't had the Privilege of using that part of of BI yet. I haven't made a presentation to the Board why they need a Comcast commercial account for $85.mo so I can do remote monitoring. Being a comcast subscriber, I've been able to log on to the myriad of Xfinity wifi signals being broadcast in the building, enabling email alerts.