PC for BI

burton123

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All, i am a new member here and I have a question. :)

So wife asked for a security camera system for home and while googling, i learned about Blue Iris so wanted to go with that route instead of a dedicated NVR.

I want to go with the POE route instead of a wireless solutions.

I checked the wiki's and recommended HW specs.
I found a PC from a local seller and bought it for $380, Alienware Aurora R7:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz
48GB RAM
16GB Intel Optane Memory
Graphics Card NVIDIA GTX 1070
256GB SSD
1TB HDD (I know, i will upgrade this)

I notice from the device manager, There are 2 GPU's, 1 Intel and 1 NVIDIA. In BI which one should i pick?

I am planning to install 10 8K cameras total (7 outside, 1 garage, 2 entrance doors) + doorbell and i would like to go with Amcrest bullet cameras. Will this system can handle that load?

I am going with a dedicated mesh network for my POE setup where the cameras will be connected to the mesh via a POE switch. Any downfalls of this approach? Like connecting a Gb POE switch to google wifi pucks?

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
overall hardware config should do nicely. yes, you'll need to add storage (WD Purple) though the 1TB drive will get you started.

a lot of installations no longer implement hardware acceleration for the video, but if you want to try I'd go with the NVIDIA (it's already there, use it)

check out the camera prices of sellers on this website, Andie (EmpireTechAndie) has frequent sales and offers full support of his cameras.

for best performance do wired cameras when possible. verify the POE Gb switch has adequate power to power up all of its ports and that is has enough POE ports. (many POE switches power only half of the number available; e.g. 24port switch will provide 12ports with POE)

all of the cameras and the bi system should be connected (wired) to the same POE switch; normally the switch itself is connected to the router where internet service first enters the residence.

you'll have more questions, but you'll find a lot of suggestions and answers in the WIKI... keep reading!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll be fine with that for a while. The Wiki is a little dated at this point and hardware requirements aren't as much as implied there now with substreams available.

Doesn't matter much which you choose for graphics as far as BI itself is concerned. If using DeepStack it will benefit from using the GPU. Also may make some difference as far as monitors/resolutions supported but that's beyond BI. Can always change that as you want later.

Hardwire everything instead of doing the mesh.

Probably pass on the Amcrest 4K cams depending on exactly which. Spend some more time studying up on cams and looking beyond resolution and price. Most all of the 4K Amcrest cams use a smaller, older sensor and won't be great in low light.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not necessary to pick Intel or NVidia or to even use hardware acceleration. Use sub streams instead and your CPU won't even break a sweat. You can use the 1070 for DeepStack AI which will help eliminate false triggers, but that should wait until you've got the system up, running and have some familiarity with Blue Iris and configuring cameras.

DeepStack Installation

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That computer will be more than capable. Also use the substreams.

Regarding the cameras, the distance to be covered from the camera to the object location is the most important factor and more important than MP.

You need to identify the areas you want to cover and pick a camera designed to cover that distance. In some instances, it may be a 2MP or 4MP that is the right camera. DO NOT CHASE MP!!!

It is why we recommend to purchase one good varifocal and test it at all the proposed locations day and night to figure out the correct focal lengths and cams.

A few other tips....It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k (8MP) cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Here is an unofficial thread on the importance of focal length over MP:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to enable them in the camera and then tell BI to use it:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are a few 2MP and the sidewalk shot is a 4MP. the cam models are in the upper left text.
Except for the Hikvision ( last photo) bought on Amazon by Jidetech. It doesn't deserve a model#. :)

Screenshot 2022-05-05 213014.jpgScreenshot 2022-05-05 212758.jpgScreenshot 2022-05-05 212701.jpgScreenshot 2022-05-05 212620.jpg

Last edited:

burton123

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't hold on too tightly to your Amcrest 8mp notions for all situations.
We see better in lowlight with 2MP varifocal cams even in this modern 4K world.

After reading the forum, I realized that. I spent hrs in looking at the reviews from folks here. I really like the 4k-4x camera but I now totally understand that a varifocal camera will help me to choose proper cameras for the installation locations.

I kind of completed all the hardware (poe switch, eth cable, PC etc.) except cameras. I want to format and reinstall Windows to the Alienware and get a varifocal camera and start testing.

I will draw a sketch up and will need some opinions about camera placement.

Last edited: