Patching outside wall stucco when moving camera to new location advice needed

Reaction score
As my experience keeps improving and I learn new things and I upgrade cameras...the initial positioning of a specific camera is relocated. Sometimes, the older location was attached to the wood trim/fascia... other times, I was forced to screw directly into the 1/4" thick stucco. Example: I had a boobie Dahua camera (the dual lens model) as my front porch at 6' height. I have since swapped to a Dahua VTO doorbell camera which currently sits at 6' but wish to lower it to the expected doorbell height of 4'-5'. I did drill a 1/4" hole to stick the Cat6 cable through which I terminated outside with RJ45.
I have no stucco patchwork experience. Anyone have advice for patching up small stucco holes?
Side note: I also had to do a 4" hole through stucco for my wood working shop's Reznor natural gas heater exhaust. It was my first time playing with stucco and did not do a good job at cutting it away with precision. It's pretty badly jagged, even with the 4" collar. I need to repair this as well.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have done my fair share of Stucco. First off, knock off any loose material. Don't be afraid to knock off too much. Spray with water to clean it up, then paint on a concrete/cement bonder, so you get a good bond with existing material. You do not really have to wait for it to dry out too much. Use a putty knife for small area or trowel for larger. If you have a sand finish, wait till it sets up some, then take a firm wet sponge and smooth the surface. If you have a textured finish, put on the brown coat, then let it set for a day, then apply your texture coat. If you are filling a deep hole, it will take a few applications. You usually have to buy a 50# bag of Stucco mix. Mix the bonder in with the dry mix with a 25% bonder/75% water, for stronger stucco. I hate stuccoing, but have troweled entire homes I was refinishing, inside and out. Did I say I hate Stuccoing? Good luck, you will love it!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I like the Quickcrete brand. Will give this a shot. Think I'll use the squeeze tube for holes... stucco pint bucket for larger patches.
And then...use magic or sorcery for color matching!
Any decent paint store should be able to color match, take them a little chunk with the color you want. Their computer will do the rest.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From your outside wall, next to where you are needing to patch anyway. Chip a piece off.

Last edited: