Partly cloudy with a chance of Blizzard

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Thinking of doing this but need to research it a little. Like what brands to consider, options, etc.

To send the data to those services, obviously one needs to connect the weather station to your home LAN and have it connect to the internet. Is there any security considerations with that equipment having internet access? Like port forwarding or something else?
No port forwarding, at least with Cumulus MX. My davis is not connected to my network, it is connected to a Raspberry Pi, which is on the network. There is a setup screen built into Cumulus that already has everything setup for you to connect your data packet to the Home weather station Networks. It is a "push" system, and sends a packet either every minute, 5 minutes, whatever you setup. Just just need to individually sign up with each service to get a User password and username. Sometimes, they issue a API key. Some weather stations have wifi built in and they have to be connected, which usually you will also pay a monthly fee to connect to their cloud service.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been very happy with both an Ambient Weather Ws-2000 and a Ws-5000.
No additional equipment needed to send info to AmbientWeather.net web site, to CWOP, or to PWS or WU. No network security issues'.
No cloud fees.
If you want to do more, then you can add Weather Display software for more features.
Ws-5000

Ws-2000

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well nothing as dramatic as you guys up north. But here in Spring TX we do have our own particular freezing issues:

There IS some ice in the spa this morning.

View attachment 149100

The birdbath is frozen solid. Poor birds.

View attachment 149101
Found out today my neighbor's main valve has a crack, happened last night 25 degrees. His and ours come up the slab to a shutoff valve from the meter by the street. Both of ours are on the Northwest corner of our garage by our doors on the inside wall. I gave him some two part A/B JB Weld to try. Since the valve is trash, why not try it till he can get it replaced, it is brass valve with 3/4 inch copper pipe and soldered fittings. That North wind is what is getting us...he had a break on that side of the house last year during the major winter Texas storm. I also had a cracked valve on my sprinkler backflow preventor then too. We will see if JB Weld will hold up to the pressure,

I replumbed that to include two drain T's so no more water left in those pipes...put a shutoff underground...
1672012852345.png1672012392546.png1672012447802.png

Last edited: