Paranoid much?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have to say that the ptz has had an impact on late night characters (druggies, thieves, transients)

We live more or less on the front line between very nice homes to our north and “the hood” to our south and west. With a homeless encampment that has sprung up about a mile away, and a suspected drug house somewhere just north, we had been seeing a lot of foot traffic passing by, and occasionally stopping at our little street looking for targets of opportunity between midnight and 4 am.

With the introduction of the PTZ we’ve seen a noticeable decline and more than one who have initially entered the neighborhood, saw it following them and decided to find another street to visit.

just out of view is a “dead end” sign post and directly below it a “neighborhood under surveillance” sign. Occasionally the ones that have a few brain cells left catch on;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
With the introduction of the PTZ we’ve seen a noticeable decline and more than one who have initially entered the neighborhood, saw it following them and decided to find another street to visit.
I have witnessed the same thing with my system. My PTZ doesn't have auto track capability, but it is clearly visible from the sidewalk in front of my house, along with several other cameras on the front and corners of my home. There is a late-night door checker on a bike who is practically a fixture in the neighborhood - arrested hundreds of times for drug and property crimes over the years. After the first couple of times when I plastered high resolution images and video of him on Nextdoor and YouTube, and forwarded them to the police, he somehow got the message that he was being recorded. The last three times he's walked by my house, he looks at my cameras and never touches my cars - or my neighbors' cars that are within view.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Which PTZ camera is this, by the way?
This one
SD6AL445XA-HNR-IR
SD6AL445XA-HNR-IR

Its a great PTZ, but at 4MP it would be much better with a 1/1.8 sensor. If I were to buy another one (am in the process) it would be the one with the 1/18 sensor which also has a 191mm lens max zoom vs this one with 177mm
SD6AL433XA-HNR

Yes it has weird auto focus issues. (this with PFA truned off) Seems to be firmware related and I'm hoping Dahua has some newer FW to improve that. Its not so bad as to be un-usable as you see, but annoying.