Parameter Error

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
MY current setup is a 32ch Hik NVR with 3 IP cams connected to one switch on one floor, and today we decided to add the second switch on a different floor level with two more cams.

Immediately I got parameter error when adding the 2 new cams, so I disconnected the first switch and was able to get live view on only one of the new cams.

After failing to add both new cams. We decided to reconnect the first switch and have its 3 cams up as they were more important and now we get parameter error on those 3 cams as well.

I deleted and added and nothing. The cams and NVR are picked up in SADP and can change parameters but live view fails and a constant "parameter error" message.

I hope someone knows whats going on. The only thing I havent tried is to bring the NVR back to default.

Your thoughts? Thanks

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just restored defaults on the NVR without changing to the IP, but can no longer log in remotely.

It appears once I added the new switch it threw something off.

I have deleted all cameras and added the first 3 that were working and again they all say "parameter error" offline.

Last edited by a moderator:

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update, after I restored to default, the NVR was stuck on the wizard after arriving on site, although the local IP did not change for the NVR, the port defaulted back to 80 for HTTP but not for the server port, server port remained at what I set it at. Ensure to set the port back to match whats forwarded.

I was able to add the first 3 cams that were running before the second switch was added. And now the first 3 are running fine.

If I add anything into the second port on the NVR whether new switch, a cam or my laptop, it freezes everything on the first Lan port, for now I have it unplugged until I figure out whats causing this.

If I cant, than I will just route the new cams to the first switch which is running on the top NVR port.

It seems if anything gets connected to the second port on the NVR it freezes everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To avoid connecting into second lan port on te NVR. I will connect the first working switch to the second switch (Daisy Chain) and second switch to the working NVR port. I believe this should work the same and can avoid touching the second port thats freezing everything.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Linking the switches via the uplink ports than into the first NVR port worked fine. I should have tried this prior to trying to use two different ports on the NVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I too would have expected both ports to work equivalently, and would probably have done the same.
It will be interesting at some point to find out how both ports are supposed to be used and how they operate.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking at this screen it gives the option for the Main Nic as Lan1 or Lan2. If they were on the same switch internally this shouldn't matter. Im guessing theyre not on the same switch. But then why Lan1 went down completely, dont know but very glad everything is up and now can add more cams as I please on either floor levels.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That screen suggests that the 2 LAN ports can be bonded or joined, which is usually for performance reasons (unlikely here with a gigabit connection) but also for resilience in case of a failure of one network path.
Depending on the scheme supported, and there are several in common use, this would need corresponding support on the switch ports they would connect to. This would likely be a smart switch that matches the NVR capabilities.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Appreciate the follow through on reporting your progress.
Every little piece to the puzzle helps. ;-)