Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Informal poll:

Let's say in Q1 2021 one or more vaccines for COVID-19 are released in the US that have completed phase III trials and are deemed safe and effective.

Who is in?

I am, despite some lingering methodology concerns about the Moderna RNA vaccine. Less concern about some of the others.

Trying to get a feel from those here about how quickly you would get the vaccine or if you are opposed to getting it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Odds are it will be gone by then or it will mutate to a different strain.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely won't be gone in next six months. Current vaccines are based on spike protein that hasn't mutated much yet.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
For purposes of the poll, let's assume it's still around more or less the way it is now in terms of situation in the US: selective outbreaks, followed by reductions, followed by new outbreaks.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
@Frankenscript , first of all, make sure everybody gets the next Flu Shot later this year. I got the one from last year earlier this year back in early March. There will be a new flu shot distributed in the coming weeks. As long as it has been at least six months since your last shot, you can still get the new one.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
@Frankenscript , first of all, make sure everybody gets the next Flu Shot later this year. I got the one from last year earlier this year back in early March. There will be a new flu shot distributed in the coming weeks. As long as it has been at least six months since your last shot, you can still get the new one.
Completely agree. This year's shot is just making it to my area. Will get family flu-vaccinated by early September.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You might experience fever-like symptoms for a couple of days, don't worry about it. Also, it will take about two weeks for the flu shot to be effective in your immune system. As always, stay vigilant and monitor your temperature and SpO2 using thermometer and pulse oximeter, respectively

I just got a flu shot a few days ago....first time in my life I ever got a flu shot...let's hope it doesn't kill me...LOL

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
For purposes of the poll, let's assume it's still around more or less the way it is now in terms of situation in the US: selective outbreaks, followed by reductions, followed by new outbreaks.

I’m gonna wait and see how it effects you first ;)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've never, ever, had a reaction to a flu vaccine. Not even a sore arm but I'm one of those people that helps the tech pick a vein for a blood sample, or IV, then watches the needle go in without flinching.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m gonna wait and see how it effects you first ;)
Not a bad response! I'm a healthy if somewhat overweight (BMI ranges 29-31) 53 year old. I'm probably relatively able to weather any issues from vaccine compared to older, fatter, or sicker individuals. I see it as a duty to join the front ranks of the vaccinated.

Later on today I'll fill you guys in on why I asked the question. Lowe's trip now though.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
PS BigRedFish i'm not implying you are old fat or sick! I think you may be older than me from things you've said but I'm not taking a swipe at you ok?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm way older(71), not overweight(BMI 21), in decent physical condition but do have some medical issues. Actually, I would have to check with my oncologist before getting vaccinated for the CCP Virus but I'm willing to be a "test case" if it might help others.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
PS BigRedFish i'm not implying you are old fat or sick! I think you may be older than me from things you've said but I'm not taking a swipe at you ok?

LoL no worries. ;)
I crossed “old” a few years ago. Not fat, but am dealing with a medical issue for the first time in my life. Goes with the “old” thing I suppose.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am anxious for an effective vaccine to become available - I just want to go out, anywhere!

I just read this and have no words. . . How can this be a political division?

A majority of Republicans surveyed in a national poll believe the number of deaths from the coronavirus is “acceptable,” and hold positive views of the US response to the pandemic.
The new poll showed a significant partisan divide over how each party sees the health emergency, which is killing some 1,000 Americans every day.
Fifty-seven percent of Republicans surveyed agreed with the statement that the number of coronavirus deaths in the US — which this week reached over 176,000 — was “acceptable.”
Conversely, 90 percent of Democrats said the number of deaths was unacceptable, as did 67 percent of independents.

The poll was carried out by YouGov on behalf of CBS News, using a representative sample of 2,226 registered voters interviewed between August 19-21, 2020.

Will they think 300,000 is acceptable? Won't take that long to find out.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
WTH does "acceptable" even mean? Does it imply that they didn't mind the number of deaths? :eek: Who dictates life?

I am anxious for an effective vaccine to become available - I just want to go out, anywhere!

I just read this and have no words. . . How can this be a political division?

A majority of Republicans surveyed in a national poll believe the number of deaths from the coronavirus is “acceptable,” and hold positive views of the US response to the pandemic.
The new poll showed a significant partisan divide over how each party sees the health emergency, which is killing some 1,000 Americans every day.
Fifty-seven percent of Republicans surveyed agreed with the statement that the number of coronavirus deaths in the US — which this week reached over 176,000 — was “acceptable.”
Conversely, 90 percent of Democrats said the number of deaths was unacceptable, as did 67 percent of independents.

The poll was carried out by YouGov on behalf of CBS News, using a representative sample of 2,226 registered voters interviewed between August 19-21, 2020.

Will they think 300,000 is acceptable? Won't take that long to find out.