Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sure many of us knew this already, but its been reemphasized again. Fact: The only section of the NY Times worth reading is the Science Section :p

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I liked this because it was so ridiculous.
I liked it because it is correct.
Which party has been scrubbing black voters from the roles?
As opposed to the illegal aliens (sorry, "undocumented immigrants") and dead people that the Democrats bus to the polls?
Making getting an education harder?
So you're saying having over 100 all-black colleges in the U.S. but no all-white ones makes black education harder?
And that "Affirmative Action" is also not helping?
Making it harder for them to get jobs?
Are you serious? Black unemployment under Obama in March 2010 = 19.3%, under Trump in Oct.2019 = 5.1%.
HINT: lower is better! Source
Uhhh... Republicans and we all know it the important thing is black folks know it and they will be voting this fall.
Uhhh.....wake up. You're either dreaming, stoned or watching too much Stephen Colbert.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a video of that congressional "demonstration" of support with the kente cloths? Nancy Pelosi was on her cell phone and needed help getting up. I twas surprising to see her not flailing her hands around for that long though. Another female in a short skirt or dress spent the whole time trying to adjust the hem for modesty. What a bunch of fools.

Last edited:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Reaction score
Per requests I'm sticking to pandemic stuff in this thread.

Here's a good article from the Lancet showing physical distancing and masks are effective but not perfect:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
But did you see this study from the WHO?

One more to chew on.....

Apparently everyone was WRONG about transmission? Was the shut down of the strongest economy in History for NOTHING???

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
But did you see this study from the WHO?
Yes. It will be interesting to see more data. Here in Indiana, manual (not phone based) contact tracing is being used and I heard a radio story where the department of health reported significant "pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic spread."

This points out an important fact: even if asymptomatic folks spread relatively little, pre-symptomatic folks are known from many studies to be heavy spreaders. I read that the pre-symptomatic and early phase symptomatic folks are putting out the most virus as compared to later in the infection.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh and in Indiana in April pre-symptomatic folks were about 1-1.5x the number of asymptomatic at time of sampling.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey--- drop a link for that please. :thumb:
On a call for a couple hours but if you search for Covid Indiana 4600 tests you will quickly find the IU main study. That one shows 45% of positives asymptomatic; another cut of the data was done a few days later that talked about asymptomatic vs pre-symptomatic.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a video of that congressional "demonstration" of support with the kente cloths? Nancy Pelosi was on her cell phone and needed help getting up. I twas surprising to see her not flailing her hands around for that long though. Another female in a short skirt or dress spent the whole time trying to adjust the hem for modesty. What a bunch of fools.
....and Jerry Nadler was to fat to get down on his knees. A bunch of fools indeed.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey--- drop a link for that please. :thumb:
Here's a link to an article about the study I mentioned. >4600 Hoosiers sampled randomly (antibody and swab) during the last week of April. Overall 2.8% were infected (either active infection via swab or antibody positive from prior active infection). It showed for every clinical case, there were 10 more nonclinical infections, 45% of which were classified as asymptomatic.

Note that in these various articles asymptomatic means the person NEVER develops symptoms, which is different from pre-symptomatic. So when WHO said that asymptomatic people "rarely" caused infection it's important to understand they were talking about folks who would never develop symptoms, not the highly infectious pre-symptomatic cohort. Of course WHO has clarified their remarks (or, muddied the water) by basically retracting "rarely" and replaced it with "up to 40%." :facepalm:

I'm still looking for the reference about ratio of pre-symptomatic to asymptomatic. It came out a few days after this linked article, and was a comment made by one of the researchers in an interview in the secondary press. If I come across it I will post it. But you can back into the figures pretty easily; if 45% of the infections are asymptomatic, so 55% develop symptoms (though usually subclinically), and much of the infection seems to happen during the pre-symptomatic phase of the disease, and it takes on average close to a week to develop symptoms, the numbers make sense.

The same group that did this study had another wave planned for May and think those results should be out soon. It would be a great longitudinal comparison and the degree of growth of the infected (including previously infected) people will be telling. The late April data had an odd bias: 1.7% actively infections per nasal swabs (actually, detections via swabs don't really mean the person is infectious), versus 1.1% with antibody response from prior infection. Since the antibody response takes a while to develop following infection, there were probably a significant number of people, perhaps up to a percent or more, who did not test antibody positive in April but would if retested in late May.

Between a busy work week and my Dad's cancer and complications, I'll be popping in only rarely for a bit. I trust you'll make fun of me while I'm gone. :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. It will be interesting to see more data. Here in Indiana, manual (not phone based) contact tracing is being used and I heard a radio story where the department of health reported significant "pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic spread."

This points out an important fact: even if asymptomatic folks spread relatively little, pre-symptomatic folks are known from many studies to be heavy spreaders. I read that the pre-symptomatic and early phase symptomatic folks are putting out the most virus as compared to later in the infection.

As per Dr John Campbell, the UK is rolling out / has rolled out an app that people can entire their symptoms to help determine COVID-19 spread.

I have not dug much into it, but seems to help so far...

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Reaction score
Covid-19 is the reason why Kentucky Governor wants to make sure 100% of blacks are covered with health insurance. All other ethnic groups need not apply. Yellow, Red, White, Green...you're on your own suckers.
Hmmm...
Why would he single out a racial group for this program??
Hmmmmmm.....