Painting Dahua 5231R

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I want to paint them black.

Any tips ;)

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't done a 5231 but have done a 2231. I lightly sanded with 200 grit then wiped everything clean with paint thinner and wiped again with denatured alcohol. Seems to have worked. If you want to get "fancy" you could use a primer, non etching, first. Obviously, mask the lens, IR(s) and mic opening. I did spray inside the turret as well to make sure the white wasn't visible at all. I didn't use black, used a sort of pea soup kind of green. Seems to have worked well though although it's only been up for a couple of months, mounted to a tree. If you're going with black it might be a good idea to keep them out of direct sunlight though to prevent overheating.

42er

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I painted some years ago a "industrial gray" PTZ Dome camera to "white" color.

You have to sand with a 200 to 300 sandpaper, to roughen the surface of the old color (be sure to cover before painting all optics and electric parts) and paint it with a spray can black.

As always: more thin layers with a spray can, are much better, than just a view thick layers.

It works very well for me.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guy, I can see the dome on the 5231 has 4 large screws holding it together, I assume if I remove that then Ill be left with the housing only - no need to actual mask anything up

Ive got some steel wool and paint thinner/cleaner to prep, no issues there.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't use steel wool, it needs something more aggressive like sand paper or production paper. I left the 2231 assembled, masked the cable and optics, and gave it four or five coats. Be sure to use an enamel and not lacquer. The lacquer thinner in lacquer paint will soften the original paint, enamel, and cause blistering/pebbling.

In terms of taking it apart, there are several circuit boards inside which would need to be removed as well as getting the cable assembly out, that's why I left mine assembled and masked it instead, way too much work compared to a little masking tape and a razor knife.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I painted one of the cheap (like $50) 4MP Chinese import Dahua turrets once. It was white to start with. Like the amateur painter that I am, I didn't use any sandpaper, primer, or anything. Just a can of spraypaint and a bit of masking tape for the lens, IR, and microphone hole. Did two or three layers in a short amount of time, didn't let it dry more than about an hour, then put the camera up. Of course, the mount did scratch the paint off a little, but I don't care. It served its purpose of slightly camouflaging the camera.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys :) Ive put one coat on. Will leave for 24hrs and i left it assembled.. Its a Dulux Epoxy Enamel designed to go over good paint, not bare metal. Looks a treat so far.

darkconz

n3wb
Reaction score
I think Andy said he has a black version of the 5231

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk