Paint my LPR Camera or no?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
2020-12-24 17.25.14.JPG

What do we think? Paint it brown, it leave it visible?

If its painted someone won't see it and try mess with it, but it also won't act as a deterrent

matchewready

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know that it would hold up to well in the weather. I've got a white turret camera that needs to be painted brown to match the house. Trying to tape off that round lens area is going to be a pain so I've been thinking about other ways to change the color without paint.

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Road Humps? Must be a southern thing. We call them speed bumps up here.

For camouflage I usually go with three colors of Rust-Oleum camo paint. It holds up well and lasts a long time. If you chose to paint it, mask off the lens and IR illuminators with painters tape to avoid the sticky residue left by masking tape.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you don't want something permanent, maybe plastidip would be a solution. There isn't a wide variety of colors though..

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Masking isn't that hard. Use a credit card, or similar, to tuck the tape tightly where fingers won't go and gently trim using an Xacto knife or razor blade.

If you do paint it, be sure to scuff it up with 220 grit, then wipe it down with denatured alcohol prior to painting to insure a good, clean, surface and good paint adhesion.

Last edited:

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
yea, plastic dip or paint it to match the tree.

would love to see your results

Reaction score
What if you are trying to match a color? I have paint that I used on my LPR box which is a dark brown. I would like to paint the shade and sides that stick out of the box to match the box color. But I do not think using a brush will look very good. Was thinking about putting the paint in a pump spray bottle 1610166815914.png
Anyone ever tried that? Think it would work?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you decide on a spray bottle to apply paint make sure the spray bottle is made to handle volatile chemicals, otherwise the plastic will soften and melt. It should work OK with thinned latex based paints not matter what the bottle specs out at.

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
crazy thoughts before morning coffee.......How about gluing tree bark to it. How about a hollowed out a dead limb and slide it over the cam....Or cut a branch in half long ways and put half over the top......Ok enough.....time for coffee....
I use IP cameras as game cameras quite often and have done the same thing. I find a branch the same size as the camera and remove the bark in two pieces. Then put it on the camera with one black nylon tie. It works great.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Won't help matching your tree. But mine are painted with spray on truck bed liner. It's super durable and doesn't scratch of like my first attempt at spray painting one. Mine are on a black lamp post so the black liner is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
View attachment 78582

If its painted someone won't see it and try mess with it, but it also won't act as a deterrent
View attachment 78582

I picked up a few cans of spray paint from Home Depot and painted these plate cameras for one of my customers. less time consuming than taping them

Attachments