P2P remote vs local connection

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I know the controversy surrounding P2P connections, but I have a questions about them. Does anyone know how direct of a connection it attempts to create between your device and your camera? Say you are on the same subnet as the camera with your phone. When you initiate a P2P connection will it be smart enough to recognize that and make the connection between phone and camera using your local network only? Or does it still route out to the internet, and then back into your network?

Currently when I setup customers with a P2P connection, I put the device on their phone twice. One with the local IP address to connect to when they are on the same subnet, and one with P2P for when they are remote. I do this because our rural internet is very poor, at best you can count on 1mbps upload speed, and lots of people have data caps as well. To have a P2P connection always routing out to the internet and back into your network while you are on the same subnet, you would saturate your upload connection, and burn through your data cap in no time.

Anyone know for sure how it works? Thanks,

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@cd36 - I did that while I was trying to figure out the whole VPN and VLAN versus Dual NIC thing and which way I wanted to go and I would unplug an ethernet cable from the camera switch to the internet when home just so I knew they were not phoning home and I could access them at home.

My Andy Cams worked like that, some of my other branded cameras didn't - some cameras absolutely need to see their cloud to work.

BUT - and others will chime in I am sure - those cameras exposed to the internet always allows for the what if - and if they are pinging home once a minute, you will start to see that in your speeds and maybe data cap. Now that I have made that jump, I cannot recommend it enough to take them off the internet.

Once I completely isolated the cams from the internet, even my wife noticed the internet was faster on her computer (and I hadn't said what I was doing or anything)! She just said one day that the internet is faster.

Unofficial tests showed an increase in internet speed by 25% by not having them route through the router...

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I guess I should have clarified, but I am in the dahua forum. This is on dahua cameras.

Just wondering if p2p will recognize if you're on the same subnet as the cameras and connect locally instead of over the internet.

I'll read that axis paper and see if it sheds any light in it, but not sure if it will carry over to dahua or not. Thanks.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My Amcrest camera P2P connection requires internet Amcrest server to establish connection between camera and device. After connection, data flows directly between camera and device, local or remote. I would think Dahua does the same thing using a Dahua server.

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My Amcrest camera P2P connection requires internet Amcrest server to establish connection between camera and device. After connection, data flows directly between camera and device, local or remote. I would think Dahua does the same thing using a Dahua server.
Thanks, so if you are local, after the initial handoff, the stream will stay on your local network, without leaving your LAN?

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes. You could test it. Start live view with local P2P, then unplug internet from router. Your live view should still be streaming.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, so if you are local, after the initial handoff, the stream will stay on your local network, without leaving your LAN?
As I mentioned above, yes it works. I just got an Andycam and it has never touched the internet (in my possession anyway) and worked at startup that way...but if you give it a pathway to the internet, it may call home...

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
If you you deploy openVPN on a Asus or other router that support it, then you dont need p2p set-up at all. Works great.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
FYI there is a setting in the idmss/gdmss app for this purpose.

IMG_6227.pngIMG_6228.pngIMG_E6229.jpg

It will ask you every time your not home. just press continue.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
P2P works on my home LAN with the internet disconnected for about 2 minutes before disconnecting i.e. P2P to my cell disconnects after 2 minutes once the internet cable is pulled from the home router. Seems to coincide with the Easy4ip status changing from green (connected) to red (disconnected). Seems it needs some kind of Authentication via the internet at regular intervals. Using Dahua here.

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
P2P works on my home LAN with the internet disconnected for about 2 minutes before disconnecting i.e. P2P to my cell disconnects after 2 minutes once the internet cable is pulled from the home router. Seems to coincide with the Easy4ip status changing from green (connected) to red (disconnected). Seems it needs some kind of Authentication via the internet at regular intervals. Using Dahua here.
Thanks, I haven't had a chance to test it myself yet. That's interesting but at least shows the main stream is through the local network. Odd that it needs some communication outside the network though after it has established a connection.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was told by a tech that OpenVPN uses lots of data . Not sure if that’s true or not??
Not true at all.
Using P2P should always be avoided. Cameras should be blocked from contacting the internet...always.
Use OpenVPN on an Asus Router such as
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.