Over First night, Dahua POE worked, now won't connect

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
New to IP cameras and NVR's. I have a Dahua 4216 NVR and HDW4100IPC POE camera. The camera is connected upstairs to a POE switch and the uplink cable is connected to my network switch downstairs, along with the NVR. I mounted and setup the camera last night with little issues. Since I was getting tired, I left the IP as the stock one 192.168.1.xxx. When I woke up this morning, both my computer and the NVR say the camera can't find the network. When I use the config software, I cannot find the camera nor ping it.

I don't know a great deal about networking, nor have I used IP camera's before (as I decided to make the jump from analog to HD). I'm guessing there is something I should have setup with the camera and missed. I had selected to use the DHCP with the NVR, although am I suppose to create a static IP?

Right now, I'm just trying to find a way to connect back to the camera. Yes, I've confirmed there is power to the camera both via POE and DC. Where do I even begin?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
check to see if your router tells you all the current dhcp reservations..

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
I apologize for not knowing exactly what you mean. I logged into my router (Motorola NVG510) and obtained this information, if this is what you mean?

DHCP Leases Available71
DHCP Leases Allocated119

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
many will give a listing of mac addresses and the IP it gave, but not all will.. it looks like you have alot of devices on that network, it could have collided with another host.

unplug the PoE switch from the main network, plug just the camera and a computer into it.. restart the switch and camera then see if you can make a connection.

you could also do a full network port scan of all those hosts and then try to find the camera based upon port 554 being open.. nmap is the tool I favor for this job.

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Before reading this, I actually was in the process of doing that. I also tried connecting the POE switch and Camera to my laptop, off any network and am unable to discover or ping the camera. When i would arp -a from the command prompt, only the poe switch would show up. I'm leaning towards a defective camera now, but your thoughts?

Also, I went ahead and opened to camera up to push the reset button for 10 seconds, to no avail. I'm sure that's just for login credentials, but figured I would give it a shot.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe you have to hold that down while plugging it in and providing power.. it will restore default config.

have you put it on a bench with a premade good cable? could be getting power but not network due to a bad crimp or damaged cable.. are you getting a link light on your switch?

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
Yup, that's how I did the reset of it. I am getting a link light on two different network switches and the ir light quickly turns on/off when i first power it up to indicate power to the camera as well.