Outdoor power supply & UPS

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got a Hikvison outdoor camera with a 12V 1A plugin power supply. Unfortunately, the power block does not fit inside the plastic shell cover for the power outlet. Just wondering what people are using.

Something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Woshida-Waterproof-Outdoor-Security-Equipment/dp/B00PAYIVSE/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1461511944&sr=8-27&keywords=12v+power+supply+outdoor

Also, I would be interested in a 12V UPS. But the last time I checked just devices were only available on alibaba... Has anyone come across something reliable, outdoor rated?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I got a Hikvison outdoor camera with a 12V 1A plugin power supply. Unfortunately, the power block does not fit inside the plastic shell cover for the power outlet. Just wondering what people are using.

Something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Woshida-Waterproof-Outdoor-Security-Equipment/dp/B00PAYIVSE/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1461511944&sr=8-27&keywords=12v+power+supply+outdoor

Also, I would be interested in a 12V UPS. But the last time I checked just devices were only available on alibaba... Has anyone come across something reliable, outdoor rated?
This should all be inside your home...run a single ethernet cable and use poe.
why do you need a 12v ups?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use a Wifi camera, not POE. Pulling wire in my townhouse is challenging due to its design.

Why UPS: I tend to have several power outages during the year.... Also, (although I am not that paranoid) the power could be disconnected where there is no camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a Wifi camera, not POE. Pulling wire in my townhouse is challenging due to its design.

Why UPS: I tend to have several power outages during the year.... Also, (although I am not that paranoid) the power could be disconnected where there is no camera.
Hire someone to run the cable. This is going to be a disaster. An outdoor UPS?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
agreed.. pull a wire, run poe, and the same ups that keeps your nvr and network up and going will also keep your cameras online.

Ive yanked cables to many places people thought it was impossible, if you cant think of a way.. hire a pro, they will do it or they wont get paid.. then you'll have a real choice of cameras to put out there for the next 20 years or more

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My guess is, it's a wireless camera since all he's asking about is the power. If it is wireless, here's how you do it... Get a 30 watt solar panel, and a 12V battery (~17ah), and a solar charging controller.