Outdoor POE Switch? Or just run multiple ethernet cables?

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Those who have a few cams installed close together - do you run some small unmanaged outdoor POE switch?
Or did you just run multiple ethernet cables from your main POE switch indoors?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
People have done it both ways.

There is no right or wrong answer. Whichever is easier and most cost-effective for you is the right answer for you.

Heck my system has both ways LOL. The side closest to the POE switch it was easier to just run cables. The other side of the house it made sense to run one and then a outdoor POE switch.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you remember the model of that outdoor poe switch that you used?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any day now I plan to purchase this EX203WE unit to power 2 POE cams outdoors from one cable ==>> CENTROPOWER Passive 2 Port POE Extender Outdoor ,IP65 Waterproof PoE Passthrough Switch,10/100Mbps,(30W) IEEE 802.3af / 802.3at,1 Input Port and 2 Output Ports,PoE Amplifier

At under $40 I'm willing to roll the dice on it. It's rated for up to 65C/149F so it should be OK in the higher temps of an attic, etc.
I'd be OK with the Ubiquiti USW Flex but I don't need 5 ports and it's $99 + at least $35 for an injector, this one is 2 ports for $35.

It's made to strap to a pole nicely, like the Ubiquiti radios and surge suppressors.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Home running multiple cables is generally the way unless you have a very specific need to install a switch outside.

I do have an older Ubiquity Tough Switch outside on a billboard sign mounted 40' in the air. Been up there around 7 years now and still works great. I do have it in a NEMA enclosure and it's in full shade so that really prolongs its life.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I've used these and these and haven't had a problem with either.

The first has the advantage of only using one port off the NVR/switch. Most cameras, non-PTZs, don't draw more than 8w so you'll be fine. You can also cascade these devices. They do get a bit warm but I live in the Caribbean and haven't had an issue putting this in a waterproof box in the heat. It draws 3w according to my Dahua NVR. Zero failure after 6 months.

The second ties up two ports off the NVR/switch but the actual device is inside. It doesn't get warm at all and you can use the full wattage of each port.

It would also be possible to use both! First the second device and then one, or even two, of the first off the y-connector.

More than that, an outdoor POE switch. But these devices have saved me running cables and both are cheap.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have easy access to AC power and a place to put the switch, I'd go with running one line to the switch. I've used what @CanCuba mentioned above but slowly moved to switches. I use Ubiquiti so can't really recommend one as you need to be all in with them.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What I like about the one I linked above ( CENTROPOWER Passive 2 Port POE Extender Outdoor ,IP65 Waterproof PoE Passthrough Switch,10/100Mbps,(30W) IEEE 802.3af / 802.3at,1 Input Port and 2 Output Ports,PoE Amplifier ) is that it's ready to go as is, no additional enclosure needed.

But talk is cheap, the only way to know if it's worth anything is to get it and install it...then brag about it a year later.....if lightning doesn't kill it like it does so many #$%@ things around here. :headbang:

Sammyf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have pulled several ethernet cables to locations around the property. I have also added one cam with a splitter. Now I’m planning to take one of the current cables and plug it to a new poe switch, as the amount of cameras keeps growing. Oh, I’ll actually have to add some more splitters to the locations where it’s hard to pull new cables. Did someone mention that cams multiply like rabbits :idk:

ipmania

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a noob, but the thought occurred to me that an outdoor switch becomes a point of failure such that all the cameras connected to it would stop working if it died. Of course the same would happen if the switch inside that all the cameras were home run to was to die. But a switch inside could be perhaps of a different grade (e.g. enterprise class) and protected from the elements, possibly have better quality power. I especially worry about heat. Some places in the world, especially in direct sunlight can get awfully hot.

Myself, I am in the design phase and thus I've been thinking about this situation. I'm currently going to an inexpensive semi-managed switch that'll run up to 4 PoE cameras in the area and then send all the data along 1 network cable back to the house network. I may change my mind later if I discover problems with my approach.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been using inexpensive BV-Tech 9 port POE switches for 2+ years without any issues. When running cables to my gate which is about 80 yards from the house, I failed to plan ahead and only ran 2 CAT6 cables. Electricity is available at the gate. I have 6 POE cameras feeding from a switch there. A switch is inside of a steel gate opener controller box and the heat and humidity has not been a problem. I also have a UPS backup inside the box.
In hindsite, I would have ran many more cables there and to other locations as adding cameras can be addictive. I am not promoting BV-Tech as I got them cheap.