Outdoor POE switch box with an electrical outlet inside?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So I have a situation where I would like to install a POE switch outside near our pool equipment and possible run cable for a couple of cameras.

My first thought was to use an outdoor enclosure like what I used for my sprinkler system It has an internal outlet and plenty of room to add a switch and at $29 it is fairly inexpensive. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Tri -  1533.jpg

Here you can see a transformer plugged into the internal outlet
rachio2.jpg

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
If you decide to install a switch or any electronic device outdoors it should be rated as such. This is especially important if the device will be subjected to direct sunlight.

Since the POE switch will be enclosed in a sealed container the importance of using a ruggedized / hardened POE Switch matters even more.

Heat is the primary killer of most electronics as it dries up capacitors and heats up parts not rated to sustain elevated temperatures. Hence why it’s imperative to review the operating temperature of any switch you are going to consider.

Keep in mind when you install anything into a sealed box the internal temperatures can and will exceed the outdoor temperatures from 1 to 2 times as seen in a vehicle sitting all day in the sun.

So let’s just say you’re like 90% of the people here who want this done on the cheap.

Whelps, here are some things to consider for this project:

Switch: Make sure the case is metal. Offers the highest operating temperature you can find.

Enclosure: The box should be vented to allow air flow.

Fan: Install a small 12 VDC fan to help exhaust the heat and keep the hardware cool.

Radiator: You can use anything from a metal plate to aluminum heat sinks used for computers etc. Affix them to the switches housing to help dissipate the heat. Most if not all switches have no thermal connection from the PCB to the case.

Thus you need to get creative in mating any heat generating components to the exterior case like using thermal pads. This also insures you don’t energize the case resulting in a safety risk to human!

Orientation: The switch ports should face down to insure any moisture drips away.

Electrical: Apply dielectric grease to both RJ45 jack and input terminals to reduce air & moisture from corroding the pins.

Grounding: If this switch and wiring break 50 feet in wire run. You better have proper single point earth grounding to the homes electrical system.

Ethernet Cable: If the Ethernet cable will see UV and weather the cable must be outdoor rated. In the worst case let’s just say you can’t buy the proper wire it should at least be placed in a conduit for more protection vs exposed to the elements.

The cable should be shielded regardless of the type of cable to allow proper grounding. Otherwise expect a collect call from Thor when lightning strikes!

Good Luck!

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sooo, if I'm not cheap and can afford a budget to do it right, is there anything like this in a kit \ prefab form to purchase somewhere? I'm looking for solutions to something similar for remote location outdoor sec cams but would also need something much larger than that to hold internet connect equipment like the ONT, (also modem\router?), NVR or possibly a mini NUC to run BI and POE switch. and a bunch of outlets for all that stuff.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
A quick amazon searching found a All in one solution which offers many of the key features and requirements:
Offers 8 ports, built in PSU, single BT++ port for high power PTZ, SFP uplink, 6 KV lightning per port protection, and 100 / 1000 connection. Operating temperature is noted as -10℃ ~55℃ ( -14°~131℉) so doesn't operate well in colder climates. But, that is rarely an issue once a piece of hardware is fully operating as the internal heat keeps the system running fine. I have no personal knowledge of this product but wanted to show case what can be had for under $300.XX which incorporates all of the important elements.

This is as Plug & Play as you can get and what I really like is the SFP (optical) uplink which addresses the hazards of lightning or induced EMF from a over head boomer!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Any chance you can get the job done without putting a switch outside? I'm thinking the only thing that should be outside is the camera's and the cabling. Have you looked into the Ubiquiti 2.4 GHZ transmitters that can push your camera image into the house network. I have installed one based on recommendation by Sebastiantombs, a member here. They work great outdoors and were a great solution for my remote DVR .

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well it is a plan for sec cams at the neighborhood entrances in a hilly subdivision. no direct line of site and both about 2 mi apart w me in the middle. Both locations have power and will have internet connectivity right there at the entrance points so pretty much all equipment has to be right there where the electrical and internet is and CAT run from the box to a pole for the cameras.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Both of those boxes look like decent possible options once I identify the equipment needs and total size, thanks!
I'm not really sure about how an "SFP (optical) uplink" works much less for lightening protection but def want something to address that.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
how many cameras do you need to connect?

some people posted using this one .. 1 poe line can power 4 cameras .

extend.jpg

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Both of those boxes look like decent possible options once I identify the equipment needs and total size, thanks!
I'm not really sure about how an "SFP (optical) uplink" works much less for lightening protection but def want something to address that.
The SFP is simply (Optical Fibre) that uses a different style and type of port / plug. All you would need is a fibre to Ethernet media converter at the switch inside of the house unless your switch already incorporates one.

Keep in mind you’ll need to read the users manual as to if they specify the type of fibre which can be single mode vs multi mode to be used.

Ultimately, what that all in one box allows you to do is run miles of optical fibre end to end without any signal / data loss. All the while protecting your homes electrical system from a lightning strike.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
May not be what I need after all. I don't need to run miles of fiber.
I have power and the ISP fiber line just sticking out of the ground right where we need it. So I need a box to hold, power and protect, (weather and surges), all the equipment required to turn those 2 things into functioning sec cameras connected to the internet.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
May not be what I need after all. I don't need to run miles of fiber.
I have power and the ISP fiber line just sticking out of the ground right where we need it. So I need a box to hold, power and protect, (weather and surges), all the equipment required to turn those 2 things into functioning sec cameras connected to the internet.
My reply was to affirm that unit incorporated a SFP (Optical Fiber) connection which supports running miles of optical cable without signal loss. You don't need to run miles of fiber cable To and from your house just what you need. As noted early on, besides seamless data transmission using fiber avoids any possible electrical surge, sag, induced EMF, into the cable.

Resulting in damage to your home and its electrical system and electronics. :thumb: