outdoor candelabra lighting

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an outdoor wall fixture with two candelabra bulbs. I want to replace the bulbs with LED ones since one of them burnt out. How many lumens and watts should I get? This ficture lights up my driveway and 2 car garage entrance. The road is about 50 ft away so it won't matter. But my neighbors yard is adjacent to that area so that could be a concern if its too bright, but i dont think itll be an issue. I want to eventually place a camera in that area, so it should be enough light for a camera I think. The light will be on dusk till dawn.

Reaction score
I have replaced the incandescent bulbs in mine with LED that I got from Home Depot. My fixture was rated for two 40W bulbs. I used two 100W equivalent 5000K (daylight) that uses 8.5 watts each and puts out 1000 lumens each. I wanted the most light I could get for the best night color video possible.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have an outdoor wall fixture with two candelabra bulbs. I want to replace the bulbs with LED ones since one of them burnt out. How many lumens and watts should I get? This ficture lights up my driveway and 2 car garage entrance. The road is about 50 ft away so it won't matter. But my neighbors yard is adjacent to that area so that could be a concern if its too bright, but i dont think itll be an issue. I want to eventually place a camera in that area, so it should be enough light for a camera I think. The light will be on dusk till dawn.
@sdipcam

Each camera performs differently enough that you'd want to test your setup with a particular camera.

The newer 4MP 1/1.8" sensor cameras are doing very well in testing under low light conditions. If you have an older sensor model you will have more challenges

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have replaced the incandescent bulbs in mine with LED that I got from Home Depot. My fixture was rated for two 40W bulbs. I used two 100W equivalent 5000K (daylight) that uses 8.5 watts each and puts out 1000 lumens each. I wanted the most light I could get for the best night color video possible.

Thanks for sharing! That seems like a lot to me. I was looking at the 60 watt 500 lumens ones with 2700k. I did forget to mention that I have spotlights in the area so it should get much brighter when motion is detected. It sounds like I will need some trial an error to get the right setup.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I replaced the chandelier bulbs in our front coach lights (qty 5) last year to LED and like them a lot.
Got them at Costco - 6pack - same as the link below as an example. 40w equivalent, 2700K. I only use one bulb in each fixture but there is room for 3 bulbs.
Home Depot has smaller pack sizes if you need just two. Since LEDs last forever there's no point in a having a spare around.

I prefer the softer 2700K light, which is more yellow compared to the brighter 5000K, which is very white and more industrial looking. It's a personal preference.
If you have an older model wall timer driving these lights you might have an issue switching over to LEDs.
I ended up switching to a new timer that had a dusk/dawn feature since the LEDs can run all night at a low cost. Happy with the new setup.

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I replaced the chandelier bulbs in our front coach lights (qty 5) last year to LED and like them a lot.
Got them at Costco - 6pack - same as the link below as an example. 40w equivalent, 2700K. I only use one bulb in each fixture but there is room for 3 bulbs.
Home Depot has smaller pack sizes if you need just two. Since LEDs last forever there's no point in a having a spare around.

I prefer the softer 2700K light, which is more yellow compared to the brighter 5000K, which is very white and more industrial looking. It's a personal preference.
If you have an older model wall timer driving these lights you might have an issue switching over to LEDs.
I ended up switching to a new timer that had a dusk/dawn feature since the LEDs can run all night at a low cost. Happy with the new setup.
So you have 5 bulbs on your front yard for a total of 1500 lumens? I only have room for two bulbs so I would need the 500 lumens. Thanks for sharing though, I love getting stuff from costco when I can. I'm planning to use a shelley 2.5 to drive them from dusk til dawn.

Reaction score
Our home is automated. We normally dim our outside lights and when motion occurs, all outdoor lights ramp up to 100%. Like some others, we prefer soft white (Edison bulb color).

We use these Philips Warm Glow from Home Depot:

We use HomeSeer and while a little off topic, this is our event to ramp up our outside lights:

93905CB6-28EA-489F-B817-2EBDCB795B5D.png

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you have 5 bulbs on your front yard for a total of 1500 lumens? I only have room for two bulbs so I would need the 500 lumens. Thanks for sharing though, I love getting stuff from costco when I can. I'm planning to use a shelley 2.5 to drive them from dusk til dawn.
Yes, there are five coach lights with one bulb each, so I guess that's 1500 lumens total. The lights are spread out along the front so it's not very concentrated. See pic below for example of lights at the front door. The light between the garage doors has two bulbs (1800 lumens total). I may experiment with adding more bulbs. It's hard to get a balance of adding more light to improve night imaging and not getting flare from the stronger lights. Also need to upgrade the motion detection light above the garage doors. It's old an flakey, but when it comes on the color image improves greatly on the T5442 cam so there's some benefit to having that to get a better night time image. Never heard of the Shelly products but seems very slick.

Attachments