Outdoor camera recommendations. Did I buy junk?

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just installed two POE cameras that I purchased from Amazon (before I knew about this website). One is an Amcrest ProHD (IP2M-844E) which I am using as a front door camera and the other is a GW Security 4MP with manual varifocal zoom (GW4028IP) which is mounted above my garage door overlooking my driveway and the cul-de-sac I live on. In other threads, I see that forum members have recommended against GW Security. Could I get some recommendations for camera brands that are known to be good? Should I not buy IP cameras on Amazon?

Notably, both cameras I purchased have no user manual (online or printed), but otherwise seem OK. I have no other video cameras to compare the video quality against. The only serious concerns I have with these cameras is that the video in both frequently freeze for a few seconds when recording. Perhaps that's an issue with Blue Iris though.

I'm new to IP cameras, so any advice is appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6NN4ZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have two of the 4mm lens versions, I also have another 4mm and two 2.8mm on the way that should be arriving today. They work great. Just read some reviews if you buy HikVision to make sure you are receiving either the US or the World version so you can upgrade the firmware.

SafeGuard Designs is the company that has these listed and the 4mm I purchased previously were shipped by them so they def use good products. Some say that unless you buy from HikVision direct, you won't get warranty support. I haven't had an issue with mine and haven't needed to use it so I can't speak on that.

Some like purchasing Dahua from AliExpress. Others have purchased from Nelly Security and some order from LTS (message @milkisbad for info). Basically anything with a decent name listed here should suffice for most needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In the budget price range the two brands that seem the most recommended are Dahua and Hikvision. Many people on this board are also fans of Longse. For budget PTZ the Huisun/Imporx seem very popular as well.

Dahua and Hikvision both make an extensive array of fixed cameras in all 3 of the common form factors (Bullet, Turret, & Dome). Dahua also makes an extensive array of PTZ cameras, the Dahua brand seems to have the edge on Hikvision in the PTZ department but Hikvision also makes various PTZ cams.

Longse seems to make just fixed cams as far as I can tell, and Huisun/Imporx seems to make mostly PTZ cams. I am not that familiar with both of these brands so I could be wrong here.

I am not that familiar with the higher end cameras but in my mind they seem to be Axis and Bosch, but take this with a grain of salt as I am no expert when it comes to high end cameras.

There appears to be an Internet wide endless debate about which is better in the Dahua vs. Hikvision showdown. Personally I prefer Dahua mostly because Hikvision can have regional firmware which can be a significant pitfall and because I would like to add a PTZ to my collection one day and there are some minor benefits to keeping all the cameras and NVR the same brand it seems.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In the budget price range the two brands that seem the most recommended are Dahua and Hikvision. Many people on this board are also fans of Longse. For budget PTZ the Huisun/Imporx seem very popular as well.
+1 This, especially at this price range. Stick to Dahua or Hikvision with BlueIris, personally I'd choose Dahua. You're getting reliability which you can't compromise on unless you have lots of cameras.

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. That's all really great advice.