OSD Settings

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I am trying to perfect my camera settings in blue iris and i noticed I have both blue iris and hikvision camera settings showing the OSD time stamps and names. So I was curious which is better to use if i am using blue iris as my nvr? It seems like a silly question but I am curious of others thoughts on this.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you export video, if you are having BI add the time, you are re-encoding the video, and that is inefficient and takes more storage than not re-encoding and depending on the size of the export, could take a long time.

The biggest reason not to use the BI overlay though is that the attorney and law enforcement members here have said that having BI add the overlay constitutes a manipulation/modification/altering of the video after the fact and in a lawsuit, a good defense lawyer would claim the video has been altered to try to get it dismissed in court.

The reason being you could overlay any time you want on it after the fact.

Sure a camera could have the wrong date and time too, but that cannot be altered after the fact.

It would suck to have great video of a crime and have it tossed on a technicality.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you export video, if you are having BI add the time, you are re-encoding the video, and that is inefficient and takes more storage than not re-encoding and depending on the size of the export, could take a long time.

The biggest reason not to use the BI overlay though is that the attorney and law enforcement members here have said that having BI add the overlay constitutes a manipulation/modification/altering of the video after the fact and in a lawsuit, a good defense lawyer would claim the video has been altered to try to get it dismissed in court.

The reason being you could overlay any time you want on it after the fact.

Sure a camera could have the wrong date and time too, but that cannot be altered after the fact.

It would suck to have great video of a crime and have it tossed on a technicality.
That is a great point. I will use the cameras OSD settings. How do I disable the blue iris feature of reencoding and adding it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Under the video tab, uncheck the display overlays live.

Next select the Edit Overlays and delete it.

1708917164689.png

And then when you export video, uncheck the re-encode video box.

1708917350846.png