Optiplex vs Thinkcentre vs EliteDesk?

EmptyWallet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For BI uses...there's not really any appreciable difference between these, correct?

I'm probably going to go with an i7-6700 or i7-7700.

It's just me finding the sweetest deal between the three rigs, with the setup I want? Along with warranty?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For BI uses...there's not really any appreciable difference between these, correct?

I'm probably going to go with an i7-6700 or i7-7700.

It's just me finding the sweetest deal between the three rigs, with the setup I want? Along with warranty?
the elitedesk tower can hold two 3.5 drives as well as two 2.5..the dell tower can only hold 1 3.5 and 1 or two 2.5..so if you want to use more than 1 3.5 drive, elitedesk or dell precision is what you need....not sure about thinkcentre....

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about Dell Inspiron and the New Inspiron? Looks to be the same deal as the Optiplex, based upon some quick research

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What about Dell Inspiron and the New Inspiron? Looks to be the same deal as the Optiplex, based upon some quick research

generally inspiron lacks windows pro (some have it) and no 3 year next business day warranty....the business systems are also easier to work on for things like swapping drives..

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Invaluable advice, @fenderman

Any opinions on the Dell Precision series? They seem to be slightly better than the OptiPlex series, according to some light Googling.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Invaluable advice, @fenderman

Any opinions on the Dell Precision series? They seem to be slightly better than the OptiPlex series, according to some light Googling.

I have never used one but yes it appears to be a step up from Optiplex ..

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In looking at the Dell for work web site, the precision series all come with graphics cards in them.

Since the graphics cards are not needed for blue Iris, this makes the price on the precision series generally higher than the OptiPlex series.

You can always take out the graphics card that comes with it and put it in another PC, but now I'm leaning towards The OptiPlex series.

We'll see...

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the benefit of Win 10 Pro vs Home for purpose of blueiris?
I want the Remote Desktop feature of Win 10 Pro, so I can manage the PC remotely. I know it uses resources to be connected all the time, so it is just to make changes to BI, install monthly Windows patches, etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is also more control over updates (though I think MS made some changes to help with home systems)

Chris TT

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, giomania and fenderman.
So it's perfectly workable, barring the above.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I run two (2) Blue Iris systems on Dell Optiplex 7040 MT i7-6700 systems, each with the OS on a SSD (one is a 256GB SSD and the other is a 500GB SSD). Each system uses a Western Digital Purple (one is a 2TB drive and the other system is a 6TB drive) to record Blue Iris Video onto. As @fenderman has mentioned, the Dell Optiplex 7040 Mini Towers are very small systems and have the internal capacity to handle only two (2) 2.5" drives but only one (1) 3.5" drive; this is a drawback, although the fact that they are very small cases in a major plus IMO. However, this limitation does not bother me because my 21 camera BI system has plenty of space recording to its 6TB WD Purple.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have decided I am going to get a Dell Precision system. The reason is primarily due to the HDD mounting limitations of the Dell Inspiron and OptiPlex series.

As I noted in a prior post, many of the Precision systems come with graphics cards, but I can use it in another PC. When you factor in the cost of the card, those systems tend to be a better value overall. Of course, you have to pay more for the system.

On the Outlet (for work) store, the precision models may not be as numerous, but some days are better than others.

FYI: Per fenderman's recommendation, chatting with a sales rep will result in additional discounts. They offered me 10% off an OptiPlex system one day, but would only offer me 4% off a Precision system on a different day. YMMV

Mark

EmptyWallet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Should I get an OptiPlex in the Small Form Factor or Mini Tower?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mini Tower; note you can only fit one 3.5" drive inside (as posted above), so get a large WD Purple.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got it. Why no Small Form Factor?
It's a personal preference for me, I would think too much heat in the small case. Not sure about the additional drive capacity.