Optiplex i7-7600 w/ internal HDD for storage, or i7-6700T "micro" w/ external HDD?

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For a system running, say, twenty 3MP cams @ 5 FPS (average, may go up or down on both specs for some cams), is there going to be a major difference between running an i7-6700 and an i7-6700T? How about internal vs external HDD for storage? Right now I'm trying to decide between Dell's latest Micro desktops and the larger form factors that will fit an internal hard drive. On one hand, a micro desktop is more concealable and will fit in a rack, but on the other hand, the larger computers will probably run cooler and faster and will fit a second internal HDD in them. Regardless, I will be going with 16GB of RAM, and I will choose either HDD or SSD for boot drive (doesn't really matter in this application).

Thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Optiplex i7-7600 w/ internal HDD for storage, or i7-6700T "micro" w/ external HDD

Get the tower.... use local storage...ssd for boot...

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: Optiplex i7-7600 w/ internal HDD for storage, or i7-6700T "micro" w/ external HDD

That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to see what others think. Thanks!

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Also wondering...Should I be looking anywhere other than eBay? The i7-6700 deals on Dell Outlet, with which I am extremely familiar, are not nearly as good as the Dell-authorized eBay deals.

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Curious about the point of using ssd for boot for a system only used as an nvr.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Curious about the point of using ssd for boot for a system only used as an nvr.
Its simply more responsive....I have about 20 blue iris systems...about half with ssd's...every new system gets an ssd...they are really cheap, I like the crucial mx series...a 275gb drive is only 70. They are also more reliable than hdd, though I have only had one hdd failure (after machine was moved)...
It also allows you to easily backup an image to the storage drive without needing external drives or nas..

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Now that I think about it, it makes sense. Definitely don't want a hdd doing so much writing with BI running off the same drive at the same time. The ssd won't be doing doing any work, just reading off the 2nd drive when needed.

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Its simply more responsive....I have about 20 blue iris systems...about half with ssd's...every new system gets an ssd...they are really cheap, I like the crucial mx series...a 275gb drive is only 70. They are also more reliable than hdd, though I have only had one hdd failure (after machine was moved)...
It also allows you to easily backup an image to the storage drive without needing external drives or nas..
Wait...no way! What software is used to image the boot drive to the storage drive? Can it be done "live," i.e. while the computer is running?

Is a 128GB boot SSD fine since the video files will be kept on an internal HDD? I can't imagine why I would need anything larger, but I just want to make sure.

How important is RAM? Should I definitely go with 16GB over 8GB?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Wait...no way! What software is used to image the boot drive to the storage drive? Can it be done "live," i.e. while the computer is running?

Is a 128GB boot SSD fine since the video files will be kept on an internal HDD? I can't imagine why I would need anything larger, but I just want to make sure.

How important is RAM? Should I definitely go with 16GB over 8GB?
Windows has built in image backup that can be run while the system is running.
128 is fine, but the price difference is negligible…a 275 gb crucial mx300 is 70 dollars…buy a reliable brand, intel, crucial or Samsung.
With 20x3mp cams I would get 16gb or memory.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

Also wondering...Should I be looking anywhere other than eBay? The i7-6700 deals on Dell Outlet, with which I am extremely familiar, are not nearly as good as the Dell-authorized eBay deals.
Right now they don't have a good sale for desktops going on at the dell outlet, probably will be November before they have another good one. When there is a good sale (30-40% off coupon code), they can do better than ebay deals. On i7 boxes anyway. I've never seen a great i5 deal at dell outlet but maybe those just get bought up fast.

Regarding the original question, I also recommend a normal size system where you can use internal storage. It is less messy, more powerful, and probably will run quieter. Granted, my primary experience with ultra small PCs is a Gigabyte Brix with a 65 watt CPU in it. It had serious overheating problems, causing high fan noise, CPU throttling, and eventually memory and disk failures. Now I run it with the 3.2GHz CPU permanently throttled to 2.4GHz, with the case open and the PC literally sitting on top of a cooling fan that is bigger than the PC and still it goes over 80 C with only a 10% load. I now run it as my secondary Blue Iris machine, recording to a USB external drive that sometimes just disappears from the system every few months (tried two different enclosures, so it is either the drive or the PC causing it). I'm sure a Dell Micro is much easier to get along with, but this bad experience has put me off of high end micro PCs for a while.

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Now that I go to purchase a computer, the options are spend $540 for a system with a hard drive, spend $680 for an SSD system with a dedicated video card (couldn't I just remove it?), or spend $720 for an SSD system without a video card. Which should I choose?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tspicer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Yes, you absolutely can just remove the video card.. save $$
and use it elsewhere...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Now that I go to purchase a computer, the options are spend $540 for a system with a hard drive, spend $680 for an SSD system with a dedicated video card (couldn't I just remove it?), or spend $720 for an SSD system without a video card. Which should I choose?
Buy the system with the HDD for 500, then pop in a 275gb mx300 for 70 dollars..https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IAGSD5O/ref=twister_B01IB47HBG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.