Opps - I bought the wrong Dahua camera - lens swap?

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IPC-HFW5442T-ASE-NI-3.6mm

It's replacing an old Hik 2332 that I had installed a 25mm lens (back in '14), probably a 1/3" lens.

I got it last year, just got around to putting it in. I thought I was getting a varifocal. But it's fixed at 3.6mm. DOH!

Any known gotchas on lens swaps these Dauhas? Any service manuals about?

Looking at some 25mm M12 lens options - any recommendations?
  • 1/1.8" (or bigger) (9mm + image circle to cover the sensor)
  • 5MP +
  • No IR cut filter

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a simple procedure. Many threads on it:

Fixing focus on IPC-COLOR4K-X
I bought a refurbished IPC-COLOR4K-X from Andy last year and its focus was got great. Then for some reason it got worse over time. So I took it apart today and was able to fix the focus easily. 1. Take off front panel of camera to expose 4 screws. 2. Unscrew 4 screws to open camera case. 3...

Successful change of 1/3" Dahua lens from 2.8mm to 25mm
So, like a lot of people who buy kits, I was initially concerned with seeing my entire property and surrounding area rather than focusing on the important areas. Having found this forum, I was quickly concerned that I had badly spent my money on cameras that weren't going to be able to help me...

Dahua Lens Replacement
Hi, I have a newly purchased Dahua IPC-HDW2431TP-AS-S2 camera and wanted to know if it is possible to change the lens from a 3.6mm to a 2.8mm. Basically, I am testing this Dahua camera to replace a Hikvision IPC-T120-D 2.8mm camera. The image quality on the Dahua is much better but...

This post was for a Hikvision, but the steps are pretty similar, it is a matter of taking off the cover, xacto knife scraping off the glue on the thread and turn in small increments and watch it on a screen.

2CD2387G2-LSU/LU Tear down and refocus (with pictures)
I recently purchased a 2CD2387G2 8MP ColorVu to replace a 2386G2 monitoring the driveway and front yard of my home. After conducting some side-by-side testing with the existing 2CD2386G2 I came to the conclusion the new 2CD2387G2 was not as well focused. Images from the 2CD2387G2 were...

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.

Not feeling too bright today, spent an hour trying to find the zoom control on the fixed 3.6mm camera. Ugh.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have several IPC-T5442TM-AS and despite the data sheet saying the lens mount is M12, it is actually M16. I'd think the IPC-HFW5442T-ASE-NI would be the same. The 1/1.8 sensor needs a larger diameter lens that what's used with the smaller sensors. I struck out trying to find a longer lens in M16. The longest I could find was 8mm, and the seller cancelled the order saying it wasn't available. This was about 6 months ago, so maybe availability has changed. If not, my experience is that the longest you will find is 6mm. I find the specs for the linked zerone lens confusing. I've not a clue what "M12 x 0.5 mount" means, having not seen that terminology before. In the specs it says "Image Format: 1/2", which I suspect led to that nonstandard mount comment. Assuming they mean the lens is sized for a 1/2 family sensor, it won't fully illuminate a 1/1.8 family sensor. I wanted longer than 6mm in one of my 5442s. Fortunately, the 5442 does pretty good with digital zooming, but it wouldn't be able to compete with 25mm.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
M12 is usually EU terminology used for bolt sizes.

M12 in bolts, means 12mm diameter. 0.5 will probably refer to the thread pitch.

So I'm guessing it's a 12mm diameter thread with a 0.5 pitch. (Unsure of the units for pitch. 0.5mm sounds unfeasable so I suspect it maybe 0.5 inches (mixing of metric and imperial?)) and I always thought pitch was the distance travelled in 1 full turn of the thread but I could be wrong as I'm no expert. However, I am sure you are looking for an M12 with a 0.5 pitch.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, M12 is AKA S-Mount, basically M12 x .5mm thread pitch. Basically 39.3 threads per inch, needs to be fine so you can adjust focus.

16mm lens mount huh? It makes sense, starlight lenses need to have bigger optics to capture more light and get a F1.0 rating.

Best I can find is a 8mm focal length lens, , which might do the trick.