Opinions on night footage

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from Andy from maybe 15 feet from the front path.

I've also got a cmir110 plus a small circular cm vision infrared pointed down the front path in the lower left of the frame on the front porch.

Settings are on shutter priority range 0-1ms and around 15 for HLC due to the porch light. On smartir setting. CBR 8142.

Ignoring the lens splotch (I've since cleaned), I feel like the image is fairly poor for identification. When I up the shutter range to 3ms, I start getting ghosting with movement.

Thanks for your expert advice! I'm always impressed with the folks on here!

View attachment 20200829093231.mp4

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Part of the problem is you are too far away. You need more zoom to get an ID better.

Ghosting appears minimal to me. In fact, I had to rewatch it several times to see any. What is your IR setting? That can be turned down if its blowing out the image. You can also turn down 3DNR to 40ish which will reduce ghosting.

Instead of shutter priority, you can also just try manual with a range of 0 - 10 and turn off HLC. Shutter Priority will raise gain quite a bit and brighten the image. But without getting the camera closer, it will still be challenging to ID someone if you didn't already know who they were.

Last edited:

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could you help me understand what you mean? Doesn't the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE have a pretty big sensor? It almost looks like the person's face is washed out with light. I'm going to zoom in more and speed up the shutter speed tonight to test.

Bigger sensor more light sorted.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Your camera has a 2.8” sensor you can get a IPC-B5442T-ASE with a 1.8" sensor which will let more light into the lens also Dahua have just fetched out a new TIOC camera 3 in one which is very good at low light as it also has a 2.8" sensor but with a F1:0 lens and a warm white built in light.

Zooming in would certainly be a little better. I use a PTZ on my front and leave it full colour and by looking at the light you have there its around the same as mine.
Here is a clip from my SD49225XA-HNR ptz in full colour at night.

Sorry clip removed.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I dont think he has that much ambient light...

I’d say yes a little too bright with the IR but that can be mitigated. Agree with @biggen you need tighter zoom.

This is probably the single biggest mistake for most installs. Trying to do too much with one camera. I’d be inclined to actually open up the zoom on that camera a wee bit, make it an even better overview cam, and add a camera at the door looking straight out for Face ID. You’ll need a 3rd if you really want clear facial ID at the car.

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks! I've got an active deterrent cam over by the cars and a cam at the doorbell too, so I like your idea of treating this one as more of an overview cam.

I dont think he has that much ambient light...

I’d say yes a little too bright with the IR but that can be mitigated. Agree with @biggen you need tighter zoom.

This is probably the single biggest mistake for most installs. Trying to do too much with one camera. I’d be inclined to actually open up the zoom on that camera a wee bit, make it an even better overview cam, and add a camera at the door looking straight out for Face ID. You’ll need a 3rd if you really want clear facial ID at the car.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s not a bad image at all, I’d play with the settings @biggen suggested. And you would be surprised just how much better the 5442 series would be there as @ljw2k mentions.

The 5231 is a great camera but technology marches on and the 5442 is the next generation of low light cameras .

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To close the loop, my shutter speed was too fast at 1/1000 based on my scene. I changed it to 1/500 and then 1/250 and the facial clarity is so much better and no issues with ghosting with the level of visible and IR light.

At 1/250 I was able to reduce gain to 27 instead of around 50 before and have 3d NR at 40 to keep grain decent.

Should be good enough until I replace this cam in the future.

20200906141413.jpg

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Surpised you didn't see stutter at 1/1000. Then again, your lady friend was moving slowly. But yep, you don't need shutter maxed out beyond the point at which ghosting isn't problmatic. The faster the shutter, the less light in = the more gain becomes necessary in low light. The more gain, the more noise and the lower the clarity. It's all balancing act.