Operation Failed Live view using iVMS-4500

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have two Hikvision Dome cameras.
One is Gray market ( DS-2CD31145F-IS) (I have no idea if this can be updated via methods on this NG.)
Other is North American model. (DS-2CD2145FWD-IS)

When I use the iVMS-4500 software on my Samsung tab the Gray Market Camera connects up easily. However with North american model, I have to try maybe 10 or 15 times before it connects. When it does not connect the error is "Operation Failed"

I have tried to read up on this issue. Often people say its a network issue. My network works fine, and indeed my BlueIris software records from both cameras flawlessly. I have tried to copy the various settings in the Gray market Cam to the NA Model, hoping that it was some setting. Of course the software is different and the interface is different in some places but I have tried my best.

It's frustrating as sometimes I hear a noise at front door and it takes me a minute or so of constantly trying to see the activity and by that time its gone.

I know that this has been an issue in past, has anyone got any insights into this?

Regards

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I have two Hikvision Dome cameras.
One is Gray market ( DS-2CD31145F-IS) (I have no idea if this can be updated via methods on this NG.)
Other is North American model. (DS-2CD2145FWD-IS)

When I use the iVMS-4500 software on my Samsung tab the Gray Market Camera connects up easily. However with North american model, I have to try maybe 10 or 15 times before it connects. When it does not connect the error is "Operation Failed"

I have tried to read up on this issue. Often people say its a network issue. My network works fine, and indeed my BlueIris software records from both cameras flawlessly. I have tried to copy the various settings in the Gray market Cam to the NA Model, hoping that it was some setting. Of course the software is different and the interface is different in some places but I have tried my best.

It's frustrating as sometimes I hear a noise at front door and it takes me a minute or so of constantly trying to see the activity and by that time its gone.

I know that this has been an issue in past, has anyone got any insights into this?

Regards
One thing to consider is how many applications are running in the back ground on the phone. In quite a few installs closing all of the applications except the iVMS-4500 allowed the camera(s) to populate correctly.

Keep in mind this doesn’t address the wifi and network. Every time I hear someone tell me My network is fine. My follow up question is how do they know?!?

The only way to know is to run real world performance stats and view the cameras.

Lastly, a simple test (generally speaking) is to lower the cameras mega pixels say from 8MP to 4 MP, from there go to 2MP (1080P). If you see the camera appear in the application just by lowering the resolution you have bandwidth issue.

You can also play around with VBR / CBR, and the average vs maximum bit rate.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses.
Well networks are tricky I admit. However, the cameras are hardwired to network, Yes My Samsung Pad is wifi, but the older camera works fine the newer camera does not. So One would think both would function poorly if it was a wifi issue. Also, my Geovision camera works fine with their app.

Ive tried to make some changes tot he Sub Stream. In the hikvision camera I asume ?? if it is a bandwidth thing then I should change the settings for the Sub Stream ? That changing the Main Stream has no affect on the live stream read by the iVMS-4500 app? Right?? Current settings are.
32*240 resolution,
Video Quality LOW,
Frame Rate 10, Max.
Bitrate 256 Kbps (the lowest in drop down box)
Video Encoding H.265
I frame 50.

It would be impossible to make it slower. But still it fails to connect unless I try many times. The old camera connects quickly.

You mention VBR / CBR, and the average vs maximum bit rate, Not sure if there is a direct setting for this.
But the Bitrate is on the lowest setting for the Substream.

I'm not sure if it relates, but I have Local/Live View Parameters set to Shortest Delay.

Please Advise.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses.
Well networks are tricky I admit. However, the cameras are hardwired to network, Yes My Samsung Pad is wifi, but the older camera works fine the newer camera does not. So One would think both would function poorly if it was a wifi issue. Also, my Geovision camera works fine with their app.

Ive tried to make some changes tot he Sub Stream. In the hikvision camera I asume ?? if it is a bandwidth thing then I should change the settings for the Sub Stream ? That changing the Main Stream has no affect on the live stream read by the iVMS-4500 app? Right?? Current settings are.
32*240 resolution,
Video Quality LOW,
Frame Rate 10, Max.
Bitrate 256 Kbps (the lowest in drop down box)
Video Encoding H.265
I frame 50.

It would be impossible to make it slower. But still it fails to connect unless I try many times. The old camera connects quickly.

You mention VBR / CBR, and the average vs maximum bit rate, Not sure if there is a direct setting for this.
But the Bitrate is on the lowest setting for the Substream.

I'm not sure if it relates, but I have Local/Live View Parameters set to Shortest Delay.

Please Advise.
On the road right now so just a quick question. When you view the live image via the cameras internal web page does it connect right away and stream fine??

Also, have you tried to hard reset the camera to a default state. Newer cameras have an internal reset switch inside to complete this task.

Lastly, have you tried to view this camera using one of the alternate software applications: Hik-Connect / EZVIZ

Generally speaking the iVMS-4500 works better. Next is Hik-Connect than EZVIZ. Give those two apps a try first and report back the results costs you nothing but time.

Don’t hard reset the camera until you try the other two software applications because it’s a whole lot of work!

NOTE: CBR / VBR should be in the Video - Audio tab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Back after Christmas. Hope you had a good one, all things considered.
I have a varetly of questions and comments.

I have install EZVIZ on my Samsung Tablet. When I search for cameras on the network, it immediately finds the two cameras and when I press on the camera it immediately opens the picture, no fuss no muss. Works great. Sooo this seems to indicate that the problem is in the iVMS-4500. Oddly, it does not need a password to see the picture live feed. that seems odd, I mean in the iVMS software if you don't put in the password it does not work. Yet this software gets right in. Can you explain that? It would mean that IF I HAD PORT FORWARDING ON that anyone can see the feed. I dont for security reasons but IF.

Also I tried using my ASUS router VPN from a remote location, then searched for the cameras in the EZVIZ software and it didn't find the cameras. This method DOES work with the iVMS software after many attempts of loading the camera. So VPN works fine.

Is there a way to manually add cameras and save the settings for the cameras in the EZVIZ, I know that I can click the Magnifier and add the info manually, but when I click add Device, it does nothing. Im thinking that maybe If I can add the device, with port it would find the camera when using VPN. Although frankly the iVMS software I think is more versatile.

I started creating an account on the EZVIZ software but stopped at the fact that it wants access to my data in my phone. My reading tells me that EZVIZ is actually Hik-Vision. While I have Hikvision cameras, Im sort of loath to give this country more access to my data, not that I have anything to hide.

I looked up hik-connect. And was a bit confused. Is this software or is this another account that I have to have with hikvision. Again, I'm hesitant to keep giving unnecessary access to my phone or device. Its frustrating when they dont need access to my address book or other things. I looked at the sign up process which wants my phone number and such information.

Regards