OpenVPN woes

HomieTheClown

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hola,

Been working on getting my VPN up and running. I've used Randy's guide (OpenVPN on a Asus router) and the Dual Nic guide (Dual Nic Guide). So my problem is:

I can connect to my BI computer using OpenVPN just fine but I can't access any of the cameras. One of the camera's IP is 192.168.50.21. I can type this on the actual BI machine and it brings up the cam's log in screen but on the ipad/phone it doesn't load anything. I'm guessing it has something to do with the dual nic setup but i don't know what to change or do!!!!!

Been working on this a couple days and keep running into dead ends. I would definitely appreciate any guidance. TY!

Attachments

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is how it is suppose to work. You can not directly access the cameras from the internet. You will need to login to the BI computer, via a remote access application (you can use RDP if you are running windows pro), then access the cameras from BI.

I have never had a need to remote into a camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OpenVPN gets you on to your IP address with internet. Your cameras with a dual NIC are on an IP adddress range that does not have internet.

OpenVPN lets you see the BI computer and bring up UI3, but you cannot see the second NIC the cameras are on.

If you want to get to the camera GUI, then from OpenVPN you would need to remote desktop into the BI computer to then get to the cameras.

HomieTheClown

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok guys thanks for your input. I just bought the BI app for the IPAD. (the one that's $10). Can you guys point me in the direction of how to set up BI on the desktop so I can use the app from the Ipad. I will in the meantime try my GoogleFu but any help to speed things along is appreciated :)

Also copying from Randy's blog :
Using VPN
Once you have a connection, you should be able to open your browser, enter an IP address from your home network, and be able to access it, just like if you were at home.
For instance, if you have domoticz running on 192.168.1.2 at home, you can now enter this address into your browser, and have domoticz come up. Same for a IP camera, or any other device at home that has web server software running.

This is why I got so caught up with trying to type in the IP address of the camera. I didn't realize I needed something else.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the BI app on your phone, you put your LAN IP address for both the LAN and WAN, part of your BI license, and a user and password.

The Randy guide assumes that someone has their cameras on the same LAN as everything else.

HomieTheClown

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ty got it. So for everyone using the BI mobile app and running some time of VPN, do you set up two different servers (onfigurations) on the app? 1) for specially when you're out the house running openVPN and 2) then a different server config for when you're at home on your own wifi?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope that is the beauty of OpenVPN - it is just like you are sitting on your couch as it puts you back into your wifi.

Only one configuration as the LAN IP address is the same whether you are at home or remote in.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So for everyone using the BI mobile app and running some time of VPN,
I don't use mobile app, I enable my OpenVPN on my phone then open the browser and go to http://bi_server:81 to view my cameras

Last edited:

HomieTheClown

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't use mobile app, I enable my OpenVPN on my phone then open the browser and go to http://bi_server:81 to view my cameras
I tried that and it didn't load anything. Chrome just said 'This site can't be reached'. When you said 'bi_server" are you actually saying bi_server or the IP address for the server. I tried both but neither worked.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It would be the IP address of your server - the IP address of the internet side of the dual NIC, not the camera NIC.

Did you change the port number in BI thinking that would make it more secure?

Did you go into the firewall settings and allow port 81 through?

A network topology map might be a good thing to post now so we can see what is going on.

Remote access wizard isn't needed for OpenVPN, that is more for stunnel. I never ran it.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
It would be the IP address of your server - the IP address of the internet side of the dual NIC, not the camera NIC.

Did you change the port number in BI thinking that would make it more secure?

Did you go into the firewall settings and allow port 81 through?

A network topology map might be a good thing to post now so we can see what is going on.

Remote access wizard isn't needed for OpenVPN, that is more for stunnel. I never ran it.
Sure, seasoned users may not need it. Though it is recommended regardless of of the type of connection you're making.

Interestingly enough, it tests several settings (firewall, web service, etc) provides their status, and offers guidance if tests fail.