OpenALPR Tool - Save and Query CSV Exports Steps I took To Get Mine Working. ZERO Programming Experience.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
The OpenALPR product has been so successful for us hobbyists, and this capture/view software has probably sent not a few paying customers their way. I am thinking Gymratz or Tech101 should contact the company and ask that they be kept updated on any upcoming planned-for changes to their CSV files.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The OpenALPR product has been so successful for us hobbyists, and this capture/view software has probably sent not a few paying customers their way. I am thinking Gymratz or Tech101 should contact the company and ask that they be kept updated on any upcoming planned-for changes to their CSV files.
Possibly a double edged sword. They may see it as keeping people off the more expensive commercial plans, and go out of their way to make it hard to do what we are doing currently.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
First of all thank you @DLONG2 2 for all you do and @Gymratz for bringing this wonderful solution to life. I think with all the recent additions this is become so much more now. Thank you to you guys always for all the time and effort and sharing this here with us.

I also agree with @SyconsciousAu they may try to block this since there expensive plan is more gear towards what we can do.

Infact I thnk we can do more with Vins now than them but they might try to block the record keeping or so.

Even though I agree also CSV changes are pain when it happens. Hopefully with Your @DLONG2 and @Gymratz help we can always find a solution to make it work in case if that happens.

Last edited:

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
With you on their board of directors we'd be assured of good CSV's. We'll start a sidewalk protest campaign right away to help them recognize the value of their cooperation with their fanbase. ;-)

Sprite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was able to migrate my database from one computer to another without any major issues. Didn't even need to compile the LPR Downloader or Viewer.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I was able to migrate my database from one computer to another without any major issues. Didn't even need to compile the LPR Downloader or Viewer.
Correct you should be fine just copying the download/viewer once the database is transfered over along with images. no need to compile unless you change the name of sqlserver or database name.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a huge shout out to @tech101 for putting together this very straightforward, easy to follow, detailed enough Manual on how to set-up the incredible tool created and maintained by @Gymratz and @DLONG2.

I had been putting it off and life getting in the way, but finally decided today was the day. It actually took longer for me to get my video feed into OpenALPR than following all the remaining steps. When in doubt, do a reboot on the computer LOL and that got the stream going. After I got the stream going in OpenALPR, it was about 1.5 hours or so to go thru all the steps.

Very cool program.

CoolFX

n3wb
Reaction score
Great work. Thanks
Just one question (I am new on using the Rekor Openalpr system) what are the main benefits of using your program over the web interface of the Rekor system?
Just asking to see if it is worth for me to take some time to install it.
Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Worth the time! Between the having data available for as long as you want to keep it, and the historical aspects associated with it, plus the ability to pull VIN numbers and associate a car to a plate, and a great user interface created to search and what not, it is invaluable.

You can assign different categories to plates like neighbors and what not and then once that is established, you can quickly look through for plates that haven't passed your house before.

It is worth the time - takes about an hour or so.

CoolFX

n3wb
Reaction score
Locally hosting the data indefinitely vs Rektor holding it for 5 days.
On the Rekor Cloud based web server i have 60 days of retention on my payment plan option, but i was planing on configuring my own web server on premise. I thought with my own web server the data would be available forever.
If i am wrong then this tool is really a life saver. I want to keep my data as long as i want.

CoolFX

n3wb
Reaction score
Gona take a look on that Docker thing. Never used it.
Is like a VM?

CoolFX

n3wb
Reaction score
Worth the time! Between the having data available for as long as you want to keep it, and the historical aspects associated with it, plus the ability to pull VIN numbers and associate a car to a plate, and a great user interface created to search and what not, it is invaluable.

You can assign different categories to plates like neighbors and what not and then once that is established, you can quickly look through for plates that haven't passed your house before.

It is worth the time - takes about an hour or so.
Nice.... Thats a great feature.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
On the Rekor Cloud based web server i have 60 days of retention on my payment plan option, but i was planing on configuring my own web server on premise. I thought with my own web server the data would be available forever.
If i am wrong then this tool is really a life saver. I want to keep my data as long as i want.
I believe with the commercial plan you can host the data on site.

Gona take a look on that Docker thing. Never used it.
Is like a VM?
Essentially yes. Runs in its own container with all dependencies met. Super simple. I know have over 57000 records since I’ve been running it since late January. Everything is accessed via a web page so browsing is easy.

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing the daily plate forensics always erroring on new cars all of the sudden? I send myself daily emails with all new cars the Neighborhood LPR software finds at the top. For the past week or more all new cars have errored and found no VINs at all. Is seems to have happened around the same time as the Windows update with the weather news in the task bar but that could be coincidental.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing the daily plate forensics always erroring on new cars all of the sudden? I send myself daily emails with all new cars the Neighborhood LPR software finds at the top. For the past week or more all new cars have errored and found no VINs at all. Is seems to have happened around the same time as the Windows update with the weather news in the task bar but that could be coincidental.
Yes, the site that gave us that info free has now blocked the API and charges a fee.

Being discussed in the other thread:

Go to gymratz github page and pull the latest fix.

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, the site that gave us that info free has now blocked the API and charges a fee.

Being discussed in the other thread:

Go to gymratz github page and pull the latest fix.
ah, thanks for the link and glad I didn't run out of space or something!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah, thanks for the link and glad I didn't run out of space or something!
Yeah we were all ticked and scrambling to find another solution.

Another free one for now, but I think eventually we may need to pay for that info.