ONVIF Chinese cameras and Hikvision NVR's

BSD2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone compiled a list of what cheap Chinese ONVIF cameras work with Hikvison NVR's - or do they only work with Hikvision cameras? I see some of the Hikvision NVR's have 'third party' and ONVIF camera support but I don't see any discussions about what works and what doesn't.

I know I'm new here, so I'll try to explain my current system and offer some insight on why I'm asking.

For the past 7 years, I've been running an 8 camera analog system. It's PC based, using a DS-4008HCI (Hikvision clone) PCI card and Netvision Hybrid NVR software. For an analog system, it works great - I've had no problems; but lately I had the itch to upgrade it with all HD IP cameras. I figured after 7 years of development, the IP camera market should have all the bugs worked out - and with the widespread use of the ONVIF standard, it looked like the time was right to jump in.

Well, after buying and experimenting with various cheap Chinese cameras, I'm finding out the hard way that ONVIF compatibility is still in its infancy with a long road ahead of it as manufacturers still insist on following their own standards.

The first camera I purchased was a Sunba HZ805-D20XB PTZ, which has a nice clear picture but mediocre CMS software. The next camera I got was a Vatel HT-W9316-Y 1080p IP camera with a Sony IMX222 CMOS imager. Again, the camera's image quality is outstanding, but the software is proprietary and doesn't work with the Sunba camera. Incidentally, the Sunba CMS software does work with the Vatel camera - but the audio monitoring does not.

Both cameras are recognized by Netvision's Hybrid NVR software, but I quickly found that I would need to purchase a $50 per-channel license from Netvision to enable motion detection, recording and remote client viewing. The NVR program sees the cameras, I can move the PTZ and see the video - but I get a black screen on the remote client software. I was planning on replacing all eight cameras - but now, it wouldn't be cost effective using their software.

Next, I looked into Blue Iris. After trying the demo, I jumped the gun and purchased a full license. Blue Iris does work with both cameras, but it's very resource heavy on the PC (Intel quad core 2.4Ghz Q6600) I have setup for Netvision's software causing stuttering and skipping, disconnects and pauses. The web interface for Blue Iris is also very slow with this setup. To get the most out of Blue Iris you really need a newer core i5 or i7 system but I really don't want to spend the money upgrading if I don't have to.

Now, I'm stuck at a crossroad; pay the license fees and continue using Netvision's Hybrid software; buy a dedicated Hikvision or Chinese NVR with ONVIF support or invest in all Hikvision compatible cameras.

So my question is - How compatible are the stand alone Hikvision NVR's (like the DS-7116N-SN or DS-7116N-SN/P) with Chinese ONVIF cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Next, I looked into Blue Iris. After trying the demo, I jumped the gun and purchased a full license. Blue Iris does work with both cameras, but it's very resource heavy on the PC (Intel quad core 2.4Ghz Q6600) I have setup for Netvision's software causing stuttering and skipping, disconnects and pauses. The web interface for Blue Iris is also very slow with this setup. To get the most out of Blue Iris you really need a newer core i5 or i7 system but I really don't want to spend the money upgrading if I don't have to.
Welcome to the forum. When you tested blue iris did you run the cameras in direct to disk mode? This saves incredible amount of cpu resources. the q6600 is a power hog and is not recommended at as 24/7 NVR. It would be cheaper in the long run to buy an efficient system.
You can buy a 300 haswell i5-4790 that will easily run your cameras. Then you wont have do deal with incompatibility issues and will have a much more feature rich system.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since I don't know the answer I'm going to ignore your question :) and tell you that Blue Iris is wonderful software. Yes you really do need to purchase an i7 but if you're patient you should be able to get away pretty cheap (funny how "pretty cheap" is dependent on if it's your money or someone else's money, eh?). There are many strategies which help to lower BI's processor load (direct-to-disk, server remote access strategies and lower frame rates among them) but -- in my opinion -- once you get settled into Blue Iris you won't regret it, unless your requirements are colossal. I'm currently running 22 cameras (2 @ 1MP, 11 @ 2MP, 3 @ 4MP and 1 @ 5MP) and the only problem I have to complain about is that I want my night images to be as clear as my day images which, as I know you understand, is not within the Blue Iris bailiwick.

Welcome to the forum BSD2000. :)