One camera remains in substream when maximised in UI3

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a IPC-HDW2231R-ZS that has altered its behaviour recently and I am unsure how to remedy it so hoping someone here will help point in the right direction.

Summary of Issue

BI version 5.5.0.13 x64 (17/09/2021)
When clicking on camera stream in UI3 which maximises the view, the stream quality remains that of the sub-stream.
This happens for only 1 camera. Other cameras switch to the main stream
This has only happened recently for this cam. It was behaving as the others are until recently.

Things I've checked

No updates (Windows or BI) have taken place as this machine currently has no route outside of its subnet.
The only thing I have changed in recent memory is to add all my cameras to different groups.

I have substreams enabled on the camera and they are working fine in the BI console.
BI-cam_settings.PNGBI-cam_stream.PNG
If i solo the camera in the BI console, I see the stream switch to the mainstream resolution as expected.

If i click on the same camera stream in UI3 the stream maximises but the quality does not change to mainstream. I notice that the FPS remains at 5FPS which is what i have the webcast settings configured to.BI-webcast-settings.PNG

If i click on any other camera stream, the quality jumps to main stream and i see the FPS jump to 15FPS which is what i have all my sub-streams and main streams set to in the camera GUI's.

If i check the stats of the stream when maximised, you can see that the resolution doesn't match the native resolution BI-stats_for_nerds_bad-cam.PNG
whereas another camera the stream matches correctly BI-stats_for_nerds_good-cam.PNG

I have recording configured to continuous + Triggered and all my cameras are being triggered by external IVS/ONVIF alerts. This issue does not exist in the BI console.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds a little weird, but here's my guess.

Because you didn't say what your problem camera is named, I'm going to call it "Krusty". I'm guessing you created a group that contains only one enabled camera (Krusty) and for some reason UI3 is loading the group stream, not the Krusty stream. Perhaps the group is also named Krusty and this has confused Blue Iris and/or UI3. Or perhaps you have just chosen the group from the Current Group dropdown list, and not actually clicked on the video stream yet.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bp2008 Sorry i tried to put as much info in there as possible that i thought pertinent :)

You hit the nail on the head. I had my camera named "front" and also the group for which the camera was a mamber of named "front". I changed the camera name to "front gate", refreshed the UI3 page, clicked on the camera stream and it works again. My other cameras did not have the group and camera name the same.

Great catch! thanks!