Offsite backup. How do you do it?

Peachs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have tried with IVS and images to Gmail but it fails a lot, lately it does not attach images.

Reliable and inexpensive methods?

Thanks!

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How much are you trying to backup? If you are recording 24/7 you will need unlimited cap on bandwidth. I have mine email or push alerts to my phone. No off site backup besides that. My Xfinity cable allows me 1.2 TB per month. I record about 7 TB every 10 days. No way to back it up through that. Get a couple of hard drives and split recording across them. Then if one fails, you will only lose half your recordings.

Peachs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How much are you trying to backup? If you are recording 24/7 you will need unlimited cap on bandwidth. I have mine email or push alerts to my phone. No off site backup besides that. My Xfinity cable allows me 1.2 TB per month. I record about 7 TB every 10 days. No way to back it up through that. Get a couple of hard drives and split recording across them. Then if one fails, you will only lose half your recordings.

Let's say the house is broken into, and the NVR is destroyed or stolen. I need images, either snapshots or small clips.

The internet speed is 600mb, and the local capacity is 10TB.

However, 1 day backup is enough, its use is only for security purposes for cases like the one I am talking about. Locally I have 2 disks, WD Purple.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What about setting up a second nvr system somewhere hidden in the house?

You could use an IO Safe using Synology Surveillance Station for in home backup.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In my case, I run around 600 GB per day of video. I can't back that up through my internet connection. My point is simple, actually calculate how much you need to backup daily to see if it is feasible.

If some one breaks in with the intent to destroy my DVR disks, they are most likely very skilled, and not the local meth head that I am trying to protect against.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have used Sneaker Net. At work we have plenty of videos that may merit saving. ( but not too concerned about them) So I bring in a USB stick and transfer them to my Home PC to a folder named CCTV.
It's kind of a work in progress.
I have found sending from BLue Iris using a microsoft account ( Hotmail) or whatever, to a gmail acct. is less fussy in the settings on the BI mail server side of things than gmail to gmail. YMMV.
I get lobby motion alerts. in that alert is an "index shot". A compilation shot of all 18 cameras. it fill up the account about every 3 weeks and I have to dump both accts to free up storage.
The email alerts are really just pointers to motion footage that I should review later. If something suspicious is going on out back or whatever.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Let's say the house is broken into, and the NVR is destroyed or stolen. I need images, either snapshots or small clips.

The internet speed is 600mb, and the local capacity is 10TB.

However, 1 day backup is enough, its use is only for security purposes for cases like the one I am talking about. Locally I have 2 disks, WD Purple.
For the specific concern you mention, your primary backup should be the microSD cards in each camera. Even if a thief makes off with your NVR or NAS or BI computer, it is highly unlikely they would ALSO take your cameras.

The other guys are addressing alerts, snapshots and snippets.

Peachs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What about setting up a second nvr system somewhere hidden in the house?

You could use an IO Safe using Synology Surveillance Station for in home backup.
It could be interesting, I don't mind if the backup is local, somewhere else in the house. Is the best option the one you indicate? Is it easy to configure? Does it allow auto-delete when the hard disk fills up?

Peachs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have used Sneaker Net. At work we have plenty of videos that may merit saving. ( but not too concerned about them) So I bring in a USB stick and transfer them to my Home PC to a folder named CCTV.
It's kind of a work in progress.
I have found sending from BLue Iris using a microsoft account ( Hotmail) or whatever, to a gmail acct. is less fussy in the settings on the BI mail server side of things than gmail to gmail. YMMV.
I get lobby motion alerts. in that alert is an "index shot". A compilation shot of all 18 cameras. it fill up the account about every 3 weeks and I have to dump both accts to free up storage.
The email alerts are really just pointers to motion footage that I should review later. If something suspicious is going on out back or whatever.
I have tried gmail+ivs but it doesn't seem reliable. It has stopped working, without modifying anything, I don't know if it's because of gmail (too much email although I have configured it) or because of the nvr. I also don't want to have to delete to keep the system operational.

Peachs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the specific concern you mention, your primary backup should be the microSD cards in each camera. Even if a thief makes off with your NVR or NAS or BI computer, it is highly unlikely they would ALSO take your cameras.

The other guys are addressing alerts, snapshots and snippets.
This option is good, but impractical, i.e. it might be more interesting to centralise a local copy somewhere else in the house.

I have an outdoor alarm (Paradox) I am not interested in reports or notifications, just a passive backup system at another location.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't understand the question. I have several ports available to network, 600mb (fibre optic network). Netgear Orbi system.
The reason I asked is: If all of your cameras and NVR/DVR are on one isolated network running off of a managed switch, you may be able to setup a secondary network with another ethernet card installed on a computer and then just use a client software on your computer that will record locally to either a internal or external hard drive only if a camera sends a trigger signal to the NVR on the other network. That way, you are not saturating your normal network with camera traffic and the client software on your computer is monitoring the NVR, waiting for a trigger. I have a networked NVR that is setup like this and I have a MAC Mini with a second ethernet card installed that I run a client software in the background to make a triggered only recording on the MAC, just as a backup. (sorry if I am not clear. It's late here and I have a neurological condition that makes my ability to explain things late at night, difficult.)

Peachs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The reason I asked is: If all of your cameras and NVR/DVR are on one isolated network running off of a managed switch, you may be able to setup a secondary network with another ethernet card installed on a computer and then just use a client software on your computer that will record locally to either a internal or external hard drive only if a camera sends a trigger signal to the NVR on the other network. That way, you are not saturating your normal network with camera traffic and the client software on your computer is monitoring the NVR, waiting for a trigger. I have a networked NVR that is setup like this and I have a MAC Mini with a second ethernet card installed that I run a client software in the background to make a triggered only recording on the MAC, just as a backup. (sorry if I am not clear. It's late here and I have a neurological condition that makes my ability to explain things late at night, difficult.)
I understand, even with a raspberry I guess it can be done, but I want something simple, fast and easy to maintain without knowledge. Can a simple NAS and configure the NVR to send to the NAS? For example, Synology DS120j. Maybe $150 including hdd.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand, even with a raspberry I guess it can be done, but I want something simple, fast and easy to maintain without knowledge. Can a simple NAS and configure the NVR to send to the NAS? For example, Synology DS120j. Maybe $150 including hdd.
I have a NAS, but my hard drives are not WD Purple in them, so the transfer speeds wouldn't be fast enough on mine. But, if you have one with hard drives rated for it, I wouldn't see any reason why not? I can't speak for Synology, I built mine using NAS4FREE and a old desktop PC.

Peachs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a NAS, but my hard drives are not WD Purple in them, so the transfer speeds wouldn't be fast enough on mine. But, if you have one with hard drives rated for it, I wouldn't see any reason why not? I can't speak for Synology, I built mine using NAS4FREE and a old desktop PC.
The configuration on the Dahua NVR is simple? For NAS

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
The configuration on the Dahua NVR is simple? For NAS
Not sure. I have a Hikvision NVR. I would think they would be similar in basic function, although the NVR GUI is probably substantially different. I have both Dahua cameras and Hikvision cameras. The camera web page GUI between the two brands is fairly different.

wasabi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
anyone had any success with ftp from the NVR ?