Offline(Parameter Error)

Reaction score
Hello, I have several HikVision DS-2CD6986F-H cameras that I support. I am running into an issue with one of them that hasn't worked for awhile. I finally got it to show up on SADP and noticed that the software version of the camera is older than the ones that are working. I was able to set an IP address for it and attempted to add it to the NVR. When adding it to the NVR I am given "Offline (parameter error)". I am able to ping the IP address that I've set for it, but am unable to reach the camera via the IP in a web browser. I'm thinking it has to do with the software versions being different, though now I am unsure how to update the software version if I'm unable to access the camera via IP address. Any tips available that may be able to assist with solving this issue I'm running into?

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, I have several HikVision DS-2CD6986F-H cameras that I support. I am running into an issue with one of them that hasn't worked for awhile. I finally got it to show up on SADP and noticed that the software version of the camera is older than the ones that are working. I was able to set an IP address for it and attempted to add it to the NVR. When adding it to the NVR I am given "Offline (parameter error)". I am able to ping the IP address that I've set for it, but am unable to reach the camera via the IP in a web browser. I'm thinking it has to do with the software versions being different, though now I am unsure how to update the software version if I'm unable to access the camera via IP address. Any tips available that may be able to assist with solving this issue I'm running into?
How did you add it to the NVR - remotely via the LAN or directly to an NVR PoE port

If it's connected remotely via the same LAN that the NVR is on - in the camera menu of the NVR click edit, change the connection from Plug and Play to Manual then enter the IP address, admin username and password that you set in camera to bring it online.

If it's connected directly to a PoE port of the NVR then you have two options:
1 - Default the camera to factory settings then plug it back in and the NVR will add the camera via Plug and Play.
2 - Disconnect the camera from the NVR, change the IP address so it's in the 192.168.254.xxx range, then reconnect it. In the camera settings of the NVR change the connection from Plug and Play to Manual then enter the IP address, admin username and password that you set in camera to bring it online.