Off NVR onto Blue Iris

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I shipped the Amcrest NVR back to Amazon for a refund today. I took the 4TB hard disk out first and reformatted it in my i5 / 16GB Dell PC dedicated to Blue Iris. It works. I have 12 cameras which are mostly Amcrest 5 or 8 MP devices and 3 5MP PTZ devices. I can web view cameras now on other PCs around the house, on phones via the web or on TinyCam. I even put TinyCam on a FireTV so I can see the cameras on the big lounge TV. All is good and thanks for your help getting me up and running.

Now I can actually LOOK at my cameras rather than peering at them wondering what is wrong . Nice. SO now I have two questions that I cannot find answer to either in the documentation or on YouTube.

1. What do the tiny icons on the top title bar of each web view camera image. There are several. One is two squares superimposed upon each other whilst another looks to my aging eyes like ablue star?

2. What is the difference between Timeline and Clips? Seems obvious but I see Timelines where there are no Clips.

This last is probably an obvious answer relating to the amount of time that the Alert existed but, I would appreciates a simple explanation, even to a url.

Thanks as ever.
Pete

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you asked for where to look for the answers LOL, all of that is in the BI help file. It is an over 200 page document. Select the ? mark at the top left.

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you. Been there, done that but, no T-shirt. The ? mark did not reveal the answers I was looking for. I don't mind reading. In fact I claim partial ownership of the anachronism RTFM from the very early days of home computers. Of course, I may have missed the salient points in the help doc. I have searched icon, header, border to no avail.

I have every intention of reading the whole 200 pages. I would ideally like this as a pdf so I can put it on my Kindle. So far I have not even found a .chm file.

So, What is the difference between Clips and Timeline and, what do thos unclickable icons mean please.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you. Been there, done that but, no T-shirt. The ? mark did not reveal the answers I was looking for. I don't mind reading. In fact I claim partial ownership of the anachronism RTFM from the very early days of home computers. Of course, I may have missed the salient points in the help doc. I have searched icon, header, border to no avail.

I have every intention of reading the whole 200 pages. I would ideally like this as a pdf so I can put it on my Kindle. So far I have not even found a .chm file.

So, What is the difference between Clips and Timeline and, what do thos unclickable icons mean please.
You can copy the PDF help file from the Blue Iris directory to your kindle.

In the help file under Camera Window UI.

Clips are the actual video files.
Timeline is what you use to view multiple cameras at the same time during playback of clips.

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure of the version, but it's dated 5/21/22; from BI's "Help", under "Cameras" => "Camera Window UI" :

View attachment 146931
Thanks TonyR. The key was "Camera Window UI" a simple search and I found it even though you kindly posted it. I have to say I hate asking questions that I know will be in the docs. I'm new at the BI game and I have not yet done more than glance at the docs. I also do not have all the terminology down yet.

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Timeline is what you use to view multiple cameras at the same time during playback of clips.
Thanks. Once you play with the UI a bit stuff like this becomes obvious but I could not initially see a match.

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Copying the pdf to the KIndle is the plan here.

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We are just giving you a little bit of ribbing LOL.

You come across as a tinkerer and someone that does their research. Ask away....just do a quick search first LOL :lmao:
Yeah, I get that. Yup, I am geek. I spent my life in telecom and IT all over the world. Now in retirement I can allow my inner geekness to shine thru'. I have just given up astronomy as it was physically too much for me. I built my own observatory and two telescopes.

Right now I am having fun with the cameras. I was disappointed with the Amcrest NVR and, as you may remember the Reolink camera. Now I have disposed of the NVR but the Reolink camera remains at 15fps only but, it works fine on BI.

I really did look before asking. As a former moderator on the Crackberry site I understand where you were coming from. I genuinely did not know the correct search term and, I wanted to understand something - which now, I do, thanks to all of you. Yes, I can take the ribbing...

Pete

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm the ADHD poster child,,,,so reading is a bitch......fiddling with shit is more my style....
In my experience, people only learn when they are motivated to solve their own problem. Mostly they crash about until they have learned enough to ask meaningful questions. At that point it is time to start gathering knowledge. Putting this another way, fiddling with stuff is great once you know what you are fiddling with. Right now, I am on the verge of being able to do that BUT, I do not want a catastrophic meltdown on my shiny new, just installed Windows 10 server.

I will get there, but BI is a fairly big place so it is going to take me some time to become competent let alone adept.

On the other hand, pressing buttons to see what happens is a basic human trait. Experimentation is how we learn. I wonder what this does? Shit. Oh dear, is fairly common around me. Then I have to learn to fix it. We all learn differently. Fun ain't it?

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Of course just crashing around with little or no idea of what you are doing is a formula for disaster so some caution is initially called for. This is why most countries have some sort of driving test (although that may, at times see a bad example...)

Playing with our environment is how we learn. This goes for kids, grown-ups or kittens and puppies. Making mistaikz is good. We learn from or failures and usually try not to repeat them. Even having said that I still intend to ask dumb questions from time to time.

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Avoid the Reolink-verse.
Oh how right you are. I still have my Duo 2 and I have it working. I had to drop both video streams down to 15fps to make it produce consistent and stable output. The audio stream still produces random bursts of digital noise that I just cannot clear. The Duo 2 is screwed to my house now and that is the ONLY reason I am keeping it. It is high up and somewhat inaccessible for me, so it stays. I would never buy another Reolink product.