Odd behaviour with bi

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My bi is getting progressively worse and acting odd. It started by not showing clips from the stored, new, and alerts folders. I verified those folders had data in them, yet, bi said no clips existed. The day before there were over 50k clips. So, I set new folders for the new+alert+storage folders - bi went back to populating clips.

Then bi started crashing, repeatedly. I setup a restart on crash program to reload bi when it crashed - this was unsuccessful - the program just said it could not restart bi ( this is probably an issue with the restart program). I could manually start bi and it would start, run for some random time, then crash.

Then i started getting camera windows that were not updating - they simply showed a static image. One camera continually showed an image from 8/20/2022. Restarting the cameras had no effect. I started getting more and more cameras exhibiting this pattern. So, I reverted to a bi version from 2020. Initially, my cameras came back to life, then they started repeating the prior behavior of showing static images.

Today, the clip database suddenly says I've got 0 clips. Database repair/regenerate still shows 0 clips - even though the new+stored+alert folders have 64 Gb worth of photos/clips.

This next step may be a major clue. I store all the images on a synology ds214play Nas. I went into bi and tried to set the new+alert+stored folders to the same folders - bi immediately crashed each time i tried to explore folders from bi settings.

So, I am seeing bi crashing, periodically loosing all the clips in new+stored+alert folders, and cameras showing static images. I'm tending to think the connection between bi and the nas may have something to do with these symptoms. Can I simply delete the blue iris new+alert+stored folders and start fresh, or do i have to do some database magic?

any assistance/guidance is greatly appreciated.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You may be running into the buffer of the NAS being overwhelmed with incoming and outgoing data. Just a thought.

In terms of the data base, just run a delete and rebuild. Right click on the alerts snapshot column, left click on database maintenance and go from there.

Oh yeah, what version of BI? Some of the 5.6.0.x versions have problems with clips and the database.

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been through the most recent versions, i'm currently on a 2020 version - i like the ability to drag my cameras around to do ui layout, instead of the newer ui layout method.

I may need clarification on "run a delete". I'm thinking of simply deleting the folders on the nas and starting over. Is that what you mean by "run a delete", or is there a database delete function buried in the bi settings?

I just read the Southern Yankee recommendations on storage configuration and i am guilty of having a storage folder on the same drive as new folder. In the process of configuring 0 size for storage folder and 1000 G size for new folder.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The I really think your NAS is the problem. It's a lot easier to use internal SATA drives, no buffer or bandwidth problems that way.

Keep in mind that one hour of video for a 2MP camera is about 1GB and and hour for a 4MP camera is about 2GB when you're allocating space. I have a total of 11TB for new at the moment.

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so, can i simply delete the "blue iris" folder on my nas and start with a new db, or is there a special process to reset the bi db?

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
my BI also has gone haywire. Everything was fine a week ago. I was getting no push notifications. I had to go back through all cameras and reset push notifications again. The clips are a week old (not saving new clips). AI doesn’t seem to work anymore even though its checked. My BI was working good. Then it just started craping out. Does anyone have any answers. I would be much thankful is someone could help. Thanks