NVR2104HS-P-I firmware update failure

Reaction score
i was updating my firmware for my nvr and the router went offline for some time killing the update process after which it completly bricked the nvr which is now stuck and boot up screen I'm not sure if this is fixable and don't have the knowledge on how to fix this so i created an account here to figure out a way to fix this. i only tried restarting to factory defaults which i think might have complicated the issue even more.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unless you lost power during it shouldn’t have bricked from internet drop. Call tech support? I’ve never had to reflash a dahua nvrs bios/eprom but I’m sure it can be done. Whether you have the cable needed and are comfortable opening unit to do it? Some devices can be done by shorting 2 points on motherboard, but again never done it on dahua.

Reaction score
Unless you lost power during it shouldn’t have bricked from internet drop. Call tech support? I’ve never had to reflash a dahua nvrs bios/eprom but I’m sure it can be done. Whether you have the cable needed and are comfortable opening unit to do it? Some devices can be done by shorting 2 points on motherboard, but again never done it on dahua.
Thanks for the reply. ive already emailed support still waiting for a reply and yes im okay with opening the unit up the only problem is i probably lack the cable

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’d call them. They have good phone support which is one reason I’ve stayed with them. Not like calling Hikvision, no wait time. And they work saturdays.

You’ll probably need a usb-ttl or serial cable, but you may get lucky and be able to jump the 2 contacts with a paper clip or anything conductive.

Reaction score
I’d call them. They have good phone support which is one reason I’ve stayed with them. Not like calling Hikvision, no wait time. And they work saturdays.

You’ll probably need a usb-ttl or serial cable, but you may get lucky and be able to jump the 2 contacts with a paper clip or anything conductive.
Unfortunately ringing is out of the picture but i did email them you cant ring the uk departament of dahua unless you are a registered business.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I think one of your earlier posts said you are an installer?

While it is a great suggestion, you have to remember that the homeowner isn't the Hikvision and Dahua target audience, it is the professional installers, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take our phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from. Many people have bought a Hikvision or Dahua from Amazon or some shady foreign website and when they call Hikvision or Dahua for support they basically tell them to go pound salt. We simply are not their intended market to sell to and they will not take your call for support...Lot's of threads here confirming this, including one from a few months ago where someone tried to call for support and they told them sorry talk to your installer....

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reaction score
So even if I purchased a usb-ttl how would I go about flashing a new firmware onto the nvr?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So even if I purchased a usb-ttl how would I go about flashing a new firmware onto the nvr?
Without knowing which contacts are/do what, you can’t do anything. If you can find the electrical engineering schismatic’s of that particular main board we might be able to figure it out.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea about the other side of the equation. And locale, I’m new to the forum and I’m in the US. I asked earlier how many here were in USA because of the new test camera thread only visible from every other countries domains;

Vs

Many here are from the USA. We are fortunate to have a member here @EMPIRETECANDY that has I think one of the best relationships a supplier has with Dahua and Hikvision.

Andy's cameras are Dahua and Hikvision OEM equipment sold under the names Loryta and Empiretech.

His cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua and Hikvision USA authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from an USA authorized dealer. They provide very limited models in the USA and many of them are not on good MP/sensor ratios either. Seem to have a lot of 5MP cameras.

Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon and AliExpress store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua units. If you get a unit that has Dahua on it, then the camera GUI will say Dahua; otherwise it will simply say IP Camera but looks identical except without the logo. Some of his cameras may come with EmpireTech stamped on them as well.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua and Hikvision website, thus proving they are real Dahua and Hikvision.

But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 and 49425 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it.

And as you have seen, we have had at least 3 cameras brought to this forum before Dahua made it available anywhere else. So the world's first review of the cameras were done by members here.

Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provided that to Andy for sale before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site. And the kicker is, we are not Dahua's target market - it is the professional installers...

You do have to be careful with some rebranded cameras purchased from other vendors as they are cameras that are for the Chinese region but have been hacked into English but then are not able to be updated or they will brick. Buying from a reputable source is key to make sure that doesn't happen.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Weird, I can’t find that part number here. Only the European top level domain gives results for the model you gave. See if you can find exact part number/translation to US model.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unsuccessfully trying to quote wittaj!

I pretty much buy only from ADI/Honeywell, having a local branch makes it a lot easier swapping things out when things don’t work.

I can’t speak of rebranded things, but Dahua sells kits; nvr/dvr with x amount of cameras per channel number of said units. For a really simple or cheap client, 45% cheaper than buying recording unit and exact same amount/model of cameras. The kits cameras are unlabeled.

Reaction score
Weird, I can’t find that part number here. Only the European top level domain gives results for the model you gave. See if you can find exact part number/translation to US model.
The only similar looking unit I could find is X51C1E Series on the US website you provided but it can't be that as that unit is a dvr. I tried searching for schematics online but couldn't find anything as I doubt it's something that dahua would want floating around the Internet. I would try and draw my own but I simple don't have enough skill or knowledge to do so. I'm still very grateful for the help ye are providing

Killhippie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately ringing is out of the picture but i did email them you cant ring the uk departament of dahua unless you are a registered business.
Just to mention I called them in the UK and they were fine talking to me as a user, they are very helpful, just explain your situation, that's what I did when the good people here helped me with issues and introduced me to Andy.

Reaction score
Yeah they got back to me saying the my serial number check confirms an international or unapproved sale such as overseas, so they can't provide me with support.