NVR with SMD or without

bfc

n3wb
Reaction score
I am planning on getting the Dahua camera IPC-T5449H-ASE-D2. This has SMD 3.0 inbuilt.

There also Dahua NVRs that have in built SMD in them. Is there any benefit of getting a NVR with SMD built in, if all other cameras connected to it have SMD built in? Will there be any synergies?

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe the DVR (analog) will have the SMD on the recorder as it does the processing from the recorder itself. NVR's (IP) will have processing done from the camera side and then the metadata is sent to the recorder itself for processing. There are some NVRs that have the ability to process the AI algorithms like SMD/Human or Vehicle Detection on the recorder itself but usually it is limited to a certain number of channels (cameras).

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi!
You should buy a 5-series NVR. It's way better than a 2 or 4-series. The price difference isn't too big but worth it for sure.

If you are building your setup from scratch you don't need the AI-versions as, like you mentioned already, the cameras will have it.
My experience is that it's better to let the cameras handle all detection.

I can recommend to buy from @EMPIRETECANDY, he'll give you a good price (versus buying locally or other EU stores).

The 5-series have a lot of features the 4-series lack.
Personally I don't use SMD at all, I only use IVS as it's way more reliable.

To get the most out of your setup it's important to get the right camera in the right location. To get you going in the right direction and not overshoot (5449-D2 seem super but probably more than enough for most applications) I can give you a "online demo" of my setup as I have ~20 cams installed on my farm.
If it sounds interesting, give me a PM and we'll organise.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You should buy a 5-series NVR. It's way better than a 2 or 4-series. The price difference isn't too big but worth it for sure.
Absolutely.
Some of the expensive 5 series also have their own AI for IVS/face recognition/video structuration.
That is great if you have cheap ONVIF/RTSP cameras which are not compatible for IVS, or you have older Dahua cameras without any onboard detection.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi!

If you are building your setup from scratch you don't need the AI-versions as, like you mentioned already, the cameras will have it.
My experience is that it's better to let the cameras handle all detection.

I can recommend to buy from @EMPIRETECANDY, he'll give you a good price (versus buying locally or other EU stores).

The 5-series have a lot of features the 4-series lack.
Personally I don't use SMD at all, I only use IVS as it's way more reliable.

To get the most out of your setup it's important to get the right camera in the right location. To get you going in the right direction and not overshoot (5449-D2 seem super but probably more than enough for most applications) I can give you a "online demo" of my setup as I have ~20 cams installed on my farm.
If it sounds interesting, give me a PM and we'll organise.
So, I have a Lorex NVR with 10 cams, two PTZ's and eight 4k bullet's. Four out of the eight bullet's have smd and work pretty good for only detecting people and vehicles. I can leave MD off and easily scan though my detection. One of the two ptz's have IVS and auto tracking, which work good. I'm looking into a better nvr (16ch) with SMD and/or IVS to be able to add to the five cams that don't have it. Been chatting with Andy and waiting to get a dahua NVR5216-16-IL. I take it, that's a 5 series. Anyway, figured it's easier/cheaper to replace the NVR over four cameras plus a PTZ.

Don't know I you have any better advice.

bfc

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Thanks especially to Genelit for your kind offer. I might take you up on that later on.

I think I am going to go with the NVR 5 series and try out a ip camera that I already have. It's a Hikvision 4MP 1/3" sensor. I'll see how the combination works taking advantage of the NVRs IVS and SMDs. If the camera is not up to it then I will get some Dahua cameras.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Needing to upgrade my Lorex NVR, five out of ten cameras don't have SMD or IVS. Just ordered NVR5216-16P-I/L from Andy five minutes ago.

bfc

n3wb
Reaction score
Needing to upgrade my Lorex NVR, five out of ten cameras don't have SMD or IVS. Just ordered NVR5216-16P-I/L from Andy five minutes ago.
Why did you got for the NVR 5 series? Instead of example the 41xx series?

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why did you got for the NVR 5 series? Instead of example the 41xx series?
My understanding is the 5 has SMD & IVS on the NVR. When you read about the 4, it says that it will do SMD & IVS from the camera, so your cameras have to have it built in, like a lot of the Dehua's. I have 5 cameras from Lorex that don't have this smart function, five that do. The ones that have it work pretty well. I can pull up a camera that has SMD and scan quickly through vehicle and people detections. Tree shadows, birds, rain, fog won't set it off. The 5 series is supposed to add these abilities to my other cameras that have endless motion detection.