NVR with POE or NVR and POE switch

jca001

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking at a couple Hikvision DS-77nnNI-XX models.

One model has 8-16 POE ports and a single general Network Port. My understanding is the general Network Port would be connected to my home network 192.168.1.X and the POE Ports would be controlled by the NVR and would be on a separate network something like 10.0.1.X and therefore the camera network traffic would not impact the general home network.

The other model has 2 general Network Ports. I am thinking I can connect my home network to say port which would be on 192.168.1.N. Then I could connect the second port to a POE switch (not connected to my home network) and use a different sub-network say 192.168.2.N for the cameras.

Another thought was to connect a POE switch to my home network, then connect both NVR Network Ports to the switch and connect the POE cameras to the switch. Then use VLAN configuration of the switch and separate sub-nets and traffic.

I am looking for feed back if other have tried using the same switch and VLAN configuration.

And just Pros and Cons of any of the configurations above.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
With Dahua the advantage would be to install cameras directly to a switch so you may access them directly and make changes/adjustments to the images and settings as needed.

With HIK you have the Virtual Host option you can enable so you may access each camera directly when it is connected to an NVR and make needed advanced image changes.

If you are able to home run all your cables back to your NVR location and NVR with POE built in is added ease, however, if you have cameras that can not be home run or it would be easier to simply run one line from your NVR to your other network components than the standard NVR with no poe would be easier.

It's really a situation by situation case based on your needs/layout.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I used the equivalent poe-less LTS-branded NVR and set up the 2nd NIC as a separate subnet connected to a POE switch, as you outlined. My belief is that this sets up the same logical configuration as an NVR with poe ports. As mentioned, you can access the cameras with the Virtual Host option. When it's enabled, that might compromise the isolation of the cameras from your home network. The LTS firmware had a bug where Virtual Host sometimes got turned off by itself. Maybe this is fixed in the Hikvision firmware. Just a heads up that if Virtual Host quits working, check if it's still enabled.

KingDamjan

n3wb
Reaction score
But in case where NVR is without PoE switch he has only one nic. How to connect NVR to switch with cameras with own subnet (10.1.1.0) and to another network with other subnet (192.168.1.0) where is also internet access to access NVR?